2018.12 Update: 2018 will end soon, so this post is updated accordingly.
Things change fast in the credit card game. There are always some cards discontinued every year, and there are also some good new cards launched every year. In this post, a list of recently launched good credit cards are presented in chronological order. The definition of “good” is subjective, and here we treat the cards that is covered by this blog as “good” cards.
The best new card in 2018: AmEx Hilton Aspire.
- 2018.11.22: AmEx Amazon Business
- 2018.10.17: BoA Air France KLM
- 2018.09.12: Discover it Business（商業信用卡）
- 2018.08.23: AmEx SPG Luxury
- 2018.08.14: Capital One SavorOne
- 2018.07.23: Citi AAdvantage MileUp
- 2018.07.19: Chase Southwest Priority
- 2018.06.28: Chase World of Hyatt
- 2018.06.14: AmEx Cash Magnet
- 2018.05.23: Comenity IKEA
- 2018.05.21: Chase Ink Unlimited
- 2018.05.03: Chase Marriott Premier Plus
- 2018.04.19: Chase Aer Lingus (EI)
- 2018.04.05: Chase IHG Premier
- 2018.04.05: Chase IHG Traveler
- 2018.04.04: Barclays Arrival Premier
- 2018.03: BoA Platinum Business
- 2018.03.15: Chase Iberia (IB)
- 2018.02.01: Chase Starbucks
- 2018.01.17: AmEx Hilton Aspire
- 2018.01.17: AmEx Hilton Ascend
- 2018.01.17: AmEx Hilton Business
- 2018.01.16: PenFed Pathfinder Rewards
The best new card in 2017: Barclaycard Uber.
- 2017.11.09: Barclaycard AA Aviator Business
- 2017.11.02: Barclaycard Uber: 4% cash back on dining, 3% cash back on travel, no annual fee, and no FTF. It’s a very decent no fee card.
- 2017.10.25: Deserve Edu: No SSN required, no credit history required, no annual fee, and no FTF. It’s good for students.
- 2017.10.25: Deserve Pro
- 2017.10.17: Capital One Savor
- 2017.09.18: BoA Premium Rewards: There were a lot of rumors and hype before it launched, but in the end it’s just so so. The only attractive part, to me, is the $500 sign-up bonus.
- 2017.09.07: AmEx Blue Delta SkyMiles: Not worth applying for, but finally there’s a downgrade option for the Delta series cards.
- 2017.09.05: Chase United TravelBank: Not worth applying for, but it’s an option for downgrading.
- 2017.08.30: PayPal Cashback: Another no fee 2% cash back card.
- 2017.06.07: UBS Visa Infinite: Another Visa Infinite level premium card. The application process is quite painful.
- 2017.05.25: AmEx Blue Business Plus: Earn 2x MR Points on the first $50,000 in purchases each year. This card is very good for big spenders.
- 2017.05.01: US Bank Altitude Reserve: A new premium card, you can earn 3x points on mobile wallet spending. At first people thought this card was very lucrative, but it turned out that US bank quickly shut down people’s accounts that were taking advantage of the 3x.
- 2017.04.24: Alliant Visa Platinum Rewards: Another no fee 2% cash back card.
- 2017.03.14: Alliant Visa Signature
- 2017.03.13: Synchrony Cathay Pacific
- 2017.01.11: Chase Amazon Prime: No fee metal card! 5% cash back on Amazon.
The best new card in 2016: Chase Sapphire Reserve.
- 2016.12.10: Barclaycard AA Aviator Red: The sign-up bonus is nice.
- 2016.12.02: Banco Popular Avianca Vuela
- 2016.12.02: Banco Popular Avianca Vida
- 2016.11.15: Chase Ink Preferred: The sign-up bonus is nice.
- 2016.11.10: US Bank Cash 365
- 2016.08.22: Chase Sapphire Reserve: It was a game changer. Many banks changed their strategies because of this card. When it initially launched, it offered an unbelievable 100k sign-up bonus. Apart from the huge sign-up bonus, this card is also really great for 3x points on dining and travel. Nowadays, when churners have dinner together, handing out this card for the payment is almost a standard.
- 2016.08.22: JP Morgan Reserve: The benefit is the same as above, but only people with $10M+ assets can apply.
- 2016.06.20: Citi Costco: Citi spent a lot of money to buy the partnership with Costco from AmEx. After the purchase, Citi seems to only focus on this card, and almost forgot their own points system — TYP.
- 2016.06.20: Citi Costco Business
- 2016.06.20: US Bank FlexPerks Gold
- 2016.06.12: Wells Fargo Cash Wise
- 2016.04.04: Synchrony Marvel Mastercard
- 2016.03.14: Chase Freedom Unlimited (CFU)
- 2016.03.10: Barclaycard JetBlue Plus
- 2016.03.10: Barclaycard JetBlue
- 2016.03.10: Barclaycard JetBlue Business
- 2016.01.19: AmEx SimplyCash Plus