Alliant Visa Signature Card Review
2019.4 Update: The annual fee is increased from $59 to $99 now.
- Earn 3% cash back on all purchases in the first year, and 2.5% cash back on all purchases thereafter.
- No foreign transaction fee.
- $99 annual fee, waived in the first year.
- No sign-up bonus. Technically the 3% cashback is the sign-up bonus, but you really need to make a lot of purchases to just breakeven a regular sign-up bonus.
How to Join Alliant Credit Union
In order to apply for an Alliant credit card, you have to join Alliant Credit Union first. There will not be a hard pull for joining the credit union. Actually everyone can join for free, and here is the easiest procedure:
- Click on “Become a Member” green button in the top right side of the Alliant web site.
- Click on “Another way to qualify” gray button twice until the Find Out If You Are Eligible header shows up.
- Select “Freelancers Union” radio button from the list of qualified organizations.
- Click on Continue green button, and finish the steps.
Alliant won’t verify the Freelancers Union information, but even if they verify, you can register one easily for free. HT: Reader Eduardo Baez from DoC.
Recommended Application Time
- We recommend you apply for this card after you have a credit history of at least two years and you are very comfortable with the credit card game.
2.5% cashback on all purchases is the highlight of this card. Comparable credit cards are as follows:
- Citi Double Cash (DC) has no annual fee and earn 2% on all purchases, while this Alliant Visa Signature has a $59 annual fee. If you spend more than $11,800 in a year, then Alliant Visa Signature is the better choice.
AmEx SPG earns 1x SPG point on all purchases, but SPG points are valuable. They are worth at least 2 cents/point, and it’s really easy to get a much higher value if you do your research.
- Chase Freedom Unlimited (CFU) earns 1.5x UR on all purchases, and it’s about ~2.4% in value. However, some people just like simple cash back, and the Alliant Visa Signature is as simple as it gets!
- USAA has a credit card that has no annual fee and earns 2.5% cashback, and DoC has a review about it. The problem is that, not everyone can join USAA. If you and your relatives have no relationship to the US military, then you are not eligible.
In summary, this card is suitable for people who spend a lot, don’t want to do research on points/miles, and are not eligible for USAA.
Related Credit Cards
- Alliant Visa Platinum Rewards
- Alliant Visa Signature (this post)
Historical Offers Chart