Capital One Venture Rewards Credit Card Review
2021.3 Update: The current offer is 50k or 100k.
2020.12 Update: The new offer is 60k, and the spending requirement is only $3,000.
- 50k+50k offer: earn 50,000 Capital One Miles after spending $3,000 in first 3 months, and earn additional 50,000 Miles after spending $20,000 in total in the first 12 months. That’s 100,000 Miles in total.
- Earn 2x Miles on all purchases.
- The overall value of Capital One Miles is 1.6 cent/point. See below for a brief introduction.
- Up to $100 credit for Global Entry or TSA Precheck application fee.
- No foreign transaction fee.
- $95 annual fee, NOT waived for the first year. (Before 2017.10, the annual fee was $59)
- Capital One will pull all three major credit bureaus (Experian, TransUnion, Equifax) for one credit card application!
Introduction to Capital One (C1) Miles
- You can earn C1 Miles with two kinds of cards: Miles earning cards, or cashback earninng cards. Miles earning cards mainly include: Capital One Venture, Capital One VentureOne, Capital One Spark Miles (Business Card). Cashback earning cards mainly include: Capital One Savor, Capital One SavorOne, Capital One Quicksilver, Capital One Spark Cash (Business Card) etc.
- You can move your C1 Miles from one Miles earning card to another Miles earning card at any time, and you can also move your cashback from a cashback earning card to a Miles earning card at any time. However, you can not move your Miles from a Miles earning card to a cashback earning card, therefore cashback is more flexible than Miles in C1's system.
- C1 Miles never expire. You will lose the C1 Miles on one card if you close the account, but you can prevent losing your C1 Miles by moving the points to another C1 card beforehand.
- If you have a Miles earning card, C1 Miles can be transferred to some airline miles and hotel points. The ratios are 1:1, 2:1.5, or 2:1, and of course we only recommend transfering to those 1:1 partners. Some good 1:1 options are: Avianca (AV) (Star Alliance), Asia Miles (CX) (Oneworld), and Wyndham hotel points, etc. If you use C1 Miles in this way, the value is about 1.6 cents/point.
- You can redeem your C1 Miles towards travel expense at a fixed ratio 1.0 cent/point. You can also redeem your C1 Miles towards some merchants gift cards at a fixed raiot 1.0 cent/point.
- You can redeem your C1 Miles towards statement credit at a fixed ratio 0.5 cents/point.
- In summary, we estimate that C1 Miles are worth about 1.6 cents/point.
Recommended Application Time
- We recommend you apply for this card after you have a credit history of at least two years and you are very comfortable with the credit card game.
- [1/6 rule] You can only apply for 1 Capital One credit card for every 6 months, including both personal and business credit cards. You will get automatic denial if you violate this rule, but there will be no hard pull.
In 2021, Capital One improved its Miles system a lot, which makes this card more valuable. Now that C1 Miles are valued more than 1 cent/point, its everything 2x earning structure is attractive. The earning structure on itself is similar to Citi Double Cash (DC) in the TYP system, and this card has an annual fee, but C1 Miles system has other good cards that have a good earning rate to work together. Note that Capital One will pull all three major credit bureaus (Experian, TransUnion, Equifax) for one credit card application, and it is very difficult to get approved if you have a lot of recent hard pulls. If you don’t want this card after one year, you can downgrade it to Capital One VentureOne.
Related Credit Cards
- Capital One VentureOne
- Capital One Venture (this card)
Recommended Downgrade Options
Historical Offers Chart
Note: Sometimes there are offers such as 50k+50k on this card, but the spending requirements after the latter part are huge. Therefore, we don’t treat them as sign-up bonus.