The Blue Business Plus Credit Card from American Express OPEN Review
2017.7 Update: It appears the 20k MR signup offer is still available, possibly on a targeted basis. I just logged into my Amex account, and a pop-up window titled “You’re pre-approved” appeared. I copied the link from the “Apply Now” button on the pop-up, which takes you to the application page. Login to see if the offer is available to you! Offer has an expiration date of August 25, 2017.
- Earn 2x MR Points on the first $50,000 in purchases each year, 1x MR Points on purchases thereafter.
- Membership Rewards (MR) earned by this card, if used to transfer to airline miles, worth about 1.6 cents/point (Bank & Credit Card Points Value). So the 20k highest sign-up bonus worths about $320! For more information about Membership Rewards (MR), see Maximize the Credit Card Points Values (overview) and Review of AmEx Membership Rewards (MR) (very detailed).
- With this card, you can get access to Amex Offer, which usually offers very good discounts at some stores, such as: spend $15 or more and get $5 back at Walmart; spend $75 or more and get $25 back on Amazon.com.
- No annual fee.
- 0 APR for the first 15 months.
- There’s no sign-up bonus now. There was a 20k offer when the card was first released, and there appear to be targeted 20k offers floating around.
- Foreign Transaction Fee exists, so better not use it outside United States.
This card looks like BCE/BCP, but they are totally different. This card is a business credit card, and it earns MR points. It is an improved version of the discontinued Amex Blue for Business. Unlike the previous Blue for Business, this card CAN transfer your MR points to miles. It has a really strong earning ability: 2x MR everywhere, much better than 2% cash back (see Citi Double Cash). But note that the 2x everywhere is limited to the first 50,000 spending in a calendar year. Although the sign-up bonus is just so-so, but it has no annual fee. It’s another MR card that you should considering keeping for the long term.
Recommended Application Time:
- You can get the sign-up bonus once in a lifetime, so be sure to apply when the historical highest offer appears.
- AmEx doesn’t care about the number of hard pulls.
- You can try to apply for it when you have a credit history of 3 months.
- You must wait at least 90 days between the application for ED and EDP, otherwise the application will be cancelled.
Only one AmEx credit card can be approved in a day. This rule does not apply to charge cards, you can be approved for one credit card and multiple charge cards in the day.Multiple cards approved in the same day will only have one Hard Pull.
- Only 2 credit cards can be approved within 90 days, but again, this rule does not apply to charge cards.
- You can keep at most 5 AmEx credit cards, not including charge cards.
- Click here to check AmEx application status.
- AmEx reconsideration backdoor number: 877-399-3083. The “real” backdoor number of Amex is well protected. Different from Chase, the representatives from this AmEx reconsideration backdoor number only have the right to help you submit requests.