Southwest Rapid Rewards® Priority Credit Card Review
2019.9 Update: The new offer is 40k+20k on all three personal Chase Southwest cards.
- 40k+20k offer: earn 40,000 points after you spend $1,000 on purchases in the first 3 months your account is open. Plus, earn 20,000 points after you spend $12,000 on purchases in the first 12 months your account is open. The recent best offer is 60k.
- We value Southwest Miles at 1.5 cents/point (Airline Miles Value), so the 60k offer is worth about $900. See A Beginner’s Guide to Southwest Miles to check for details about Southwest Miles.
- Earn 2x miles per dollar spent on Southwest Airlines and Rapid Rewards hotel and car rental partner purchases. Earn 1x mile per dollar spent on all other purchases.
- After each year anniversary and pay the annual fee, you will be credited 7.5k Southwest miles.
- $75 Southwest annual travel credit (card membership year).
- 4 Upgraded Boardings per year when available (card membership year). The Upgraded Boardings are usually purchased in the airport, and the price is $30~$50. The Upgraded Boardings are very useful for Southwest Airlines, because unlike other airlines, in Southwest Airlines whoever get in flight first can choose any seat he/she wants.
- 20% back on in-flight drinks, WiFi, messaging, and movies.
- No foreign transaction fee.
- If you earn 110k Southwest miles in a year, you get the Southwest companion pass certificate which is valid until the end of next calendar year!
- Annual fee $149, NOT waived first year.
- Southwest doesn’t have airlines partners, so the miles can only be redeemed for Southwest Airlines itself. Southwest can only fly to the US and some central America and Caribbean countries, no further international routes.
Recommended Application Time
- [5/24 Rule] If you have 5 or more new accounts opened in the past 24 months, Chase will not approve your application on this card, no matter how high your credit score is. The number of new accounts includes all credit card accounts, not only Chase accounts. See this post for details about how to possibly bypass this rule.
- This product is available to you if you do not have any Southwest personal credit card and have not received a new cardmember bonus for any Southwest personal credit card in the past 24 months. Note that what matters here is the time you got the sign-up bonus, not the time you open the account or close the account.
- Don’t apply for more than 2 Chase credit cards within 30 days, or it’s highly likely that you will get rejected.
- We recommend you to apply for this card after you have a credit history for more than a year.
The 60k sign-up bonus is good. If you apply for a personal Southwest card and a business Southwest card, both when have the highest sign-up bonus, then you will earn 120k Southwest miles in total, which more than enough to get you a Companion Pass (Note that you can’t get two personal Southwest cards at the same time now). The best timing to get it is the beginning of a calendar year, because it will be valid until the end of next calendar year!
Now you can only choose one Chase Southwest personal card from the three. If you don’t fly Southwest frequently, and you just want the sign-up bonus, then the Chase Southwest Plus card with the lowest annual fee is the most suitable for you. If you fly Southwest frequently, then the Chase Southwest Priority with more benefits is better.
The value for keeping this card is good: $75 Southwest credit plus the value of 7.5k Southwest miles are more than the $149 annual fee already. The 4 Upgraded Boardings per year is also very useful for frequent Southwest flyers, because unlike other airlines, in Southwest Airlines whoever get in flight first can choose any seat he/she wants.
Related Credit Cards
- Chase Southwest Plus
- Chase Southwest Premier
- Chase Southwest Priority (this post)
- Chase Southwest Premier Business
- Chase Southwest Performance Business
|Chase Southwest Plus||Chase Southwest Premier||Chase Southwest Priority||Chase Southwest Premier Business||Chase Southwest Performance Business|
|Various Credit||none||none||$75 Southwest credit; Four Upgraded Boardings||none||Four Upgraded Boardings; Inflight WiFi; Global Entry|
|Best Sign-up Bonus||60k||60k||60k||60k||80k|
The current terms basically force you to choose only one personal Southwest credit card among the three. But you can have both personal and business cards.
Recommended Downgrade Options
- You can not downgrade this card to any card with no annual fee, so I suggest you close it when you don’t want to keep it any longer.
- Call 800-436-7927 to check Chase application status. This is an automated telephone line, and the information has the following meanings: Receive decision in 2 weeks means your application is probably approved; Receive decision in 7-10 days means your application is probably rejected; Receive decision in 30 days simply means your application requires further review and there’s nothing to tell you for now.
- Chase reconsideration backdoor number: 888-270-2127 or 888-609-7805. Call it if you didn’t get approve immediately. Your personal information will be acquired and they will then review it. You seldom answer questions, instead, just enjoy the music and then you get approved or rejected, or further information is needed to be hand in to the branch or faxed.
Historical Offers Chart
Note: Sometimes there is 40k+20k offer on this card. But the spending requirement for the latter 20k is huge, so we don’t treat them as sign-up bonus, we treat them as spending bonus instead.