Chase Marriott Bonvoy Boundless Credit Card (Formerly Chase Marriott Rewards Premier Plus Credit Card) Review
2019.5 Update: 100k offer is expired. The current offer is just 75k.
2019.2 Update: This card is now rebranded as Chase Marriott Bonvoy Boundless, and the new offer is 100k. Offer ends on 2019.05.02.
2019.1 Update: Now the referral links have a different offer: 3 Free Night (FN) each up to 35k points. Although FNs are not so flexible, but 35k FN *3 are at least better than 75k points.
- 75k offer: Earn 75,000 Marriott points by spending $3,000 in the first 3 months from account opening. The recent best offer is 100k.
- Marriott point is now the most flexible points (after the merger with SPG). We estimate that Marriott points are worth about 0.7 cents/point, see below for a brief introduction. So the 100k highest sign-up bonus is worth about $700!
- After account anniversary and pay the annual fee, you will be credited a free night (FN) available for one night stay at any Marriott hotel requiring 35k points or less.
- Earn 6x Marriott points at Marriott hotels (including Marriott, Ritz-Carlton and SPG brands). Earn 2x Marriott points on everything else.
- Complimentary Marriott Silver status. Earn Marriott Gold status by spending at least $35k within each membership year.
- Earn 15 elite nights each calendar year (elite nights are for status, not free nights). Each Marriott account can receive at most 15 annual elite nights credit from co-branded card.
- No foreign transaction fee.
- Annual fee $95, NOT waived for the first year.
- Free night is only valid for one year.
Introduction to Marriott Points
- Marriott points are the most flexible transferable points (After the merging with SPG, Marriott obtained all its airline partners).
- You can earn Marriott points with AmEx SPG, AmEx SPG Luxury, Chase Marriott Premier Plus, AmEx SPG Business, Chase Marriott Business, and a few recently discontinued cards.
- Marriott points are stored in your Marriott account, not in your credit cards, so you won't lose your points by canceling the credit cards.
- Your Marriott points will expire if you don't earn or spend any Marriott points in 24 months. As long as you earn make a purchase with the corresponding credit cards or stay in a hotel, or you redeem some points during the time frame, the point expiration date will be postponed accordingly.
- Marriott points can be transferred to a lot of airlines miles (you don't have to have a Marriott related credit card to make the transfer), and the ratio is 3:1.25 (i.e. 3:1 transfer rate, plus you get 5k bonus miles for every 60k Marriott points you transfer at a time). The good options are: Alaska Airlines (AS) (Non-alliance), Japan Airlines (JL) (Oneworld), United Airlines (UA) (Star Alliance), American Airlines (AA) (Oneworld), All Nippon Airways (ANA, NH) (Star Alliance), Korean Air (KE) (SkyTeam), etc. If you use Marriott points in this way, the value is about 0.7 cents/point.
- Marriott points can also be redeemed for hotel stays obviously. Here's the redemption chart: Marriott redemption chart. Generally speaking, you can get a better redemption value from lowest categories. If you use Marriott points in this way, the value is about 0.7 cents/point.
- In summary, we estimate that Marriott points are worth about 0.7 cents/point.
Recommended Application Time
- [5/24 Rule] If you have 5 or more new accounts opened in the past 24 months, Chase will not approve your application on this card, no matter how high your credit score is. The number of new accounts includes all credit card accounts, not only Chase accounts. See this post for details about how to possibly bypass this rule.
- This product is available to you if you do not have the old Chase Marriott credit card or this card and have not received a new cardmember bonus for the old Chase Marriott credit card or this card in the past 24 months. Note that what matters here is the time you got the sign-up bonus, not the time you open the account or close the account.
- [New] The bonus is not available to you if you:
- are a current cardmember, or were a previous cardmember within the last 30 days, of the Starwood Preferred Guest credit card;
- applied and were approved for the Starwood Preferred Guest credit card, Starwood Preferred Guest Business, or Starwood Preferred Guest Luxury credit card within the last 90 days.
- or are a current or previous cardmember of either the Starwood Preferred Guest Business or the Starwood Preferred Guest Luxury credit card, and received a new cardmember bonus or upgrade bonus in the last 24 months.
- Don’t apply for more than 2 Chase credit cards within 30 days, it’s highly likely that you will get rejected.
- We recommend you to apply for this card after you have a credit history for more than a year.
The signup bonus of this card is good. The annual FN offered by Marriott Premier Plus is capped at 35k per night. So you can use it at any Category 1-5 hotels in the new chart (except Cat 5 high peak). By looking at previews of hotels under new chart, we find that Cat 5 can be found even in New York or Paris. We believe the new annual FN will be worth the annual fee. In conclusion, if you don’t have any Marriott card, we recommend you sign-up the new version and keep it. If you have the older version, upgrade it to Premier Plus. Be aware the card is subject to Chase 5/24 rule.
Related Credit Cards
- Chase Marriott Bonvoy Bold
- Chase Marriott Bonvoy Boundless (this post)
- AmEx Marriott Bonvoy Brilliant
- AmEx Marriott Bonvoy Business
|Chase Marriott Bonvoy Bold||Chase Marriott Bonvoy Boundless||AmEx Marriott Bonvoy Brilliant||AmEx Marriott Bonvoy Business|
|Various Credit||none||none||$300 Marriott Credit||none|
|Free Night||none||up to 35k||up to 50k||up to 35k|
|Best Sign-up Bonus||50k||100k||100k||100k|
The current terms basically force you to choose from either Chase or AmEx, not both.
Recommended Downgrade Options
- Call 800-436-7927 to check Chase application status. This is an automated telephone line, and the information has the following meanings: Receive decision in 2 weeks means your application is probably approved; Receive decision in 7-10 days means your application is probably rejected; Receive decision in 30 days simply means your application requires further review and there’s nothing to tell you for now.
- Chase reconsideration backdoor number: 888-270-2127 or 888-609-7805. Call it if you didn’t get approve immediately. Your personal information will be acquired and they will then review it. You seldom answer questions, instead, just enjoy the music and then you get approved or rejected, or further information is needed to be hand in to the branch or faxed.