Chase Marriott Rewards Premier Plus Credit Card Review
2018.7 Update: The 100k offer is expired. Now there’s only 75k offer.
- 75k offer: Earn 75,000 Marriott points by spending $3,000 in the first 3 months from account opening. The recent best offer is 100k.
- Marriott point can be transferred to the most flexible and valuable points — SPG points instantly in both directions at a ratio 3:1. We estimate that Marriott points are worth about 0.8 cents/point, see below for a brief introduction. So the 100k highest sign-up bonus is worth about 800!
- After account anniversary and pay the annual fee, you will be credited a free night (FN) available for one night stay at any Marriott hotel requiring 35k points or less.
- Earn 6x points at Marriott group hotels, including Marriott, Ritz-Carlton and SPG brands. Earn 2x on everything else.
- Complimentary Marriott Silver status. Earn Marriott Gold status by spending at least $35k within each membership year.
- (Beginning 2019) Earn 15 elite nights each calendar year (elite nights are for status, not free nights). Each Marriott account can receive at most 15 annual elite nights credit from co-branded card.
- No foreign transaction fee.
- It’s made of metal, so it’s quite heavy and the feel of this card is cool.
- Annual fee $95, NOT waived for the first year.
- Free night is only valid for one year.
Introduction to Marriott Points
- Marriott points and SPG points can be transferred in both directions instantly at a 3:1 ratio.
- You can earn Marriott/SPG points with AmEx SPG, Chase Marriott, Chase Ritz-Carlton, AmEx SPG Business, Chase Marriott Business.
- Marriott/SPG points are stored in your Marriott/SPG account, not in your credit cards, so you won't lose your points by canceling the credit cards.
- Your Marriott points will expire if you don't earn or spend any Marriott points in 24 months; your SPG points will expire if you don't earn or spend any SPG points in 12 months. As long as you earn make a purchase with the corresponding credit cards or stay in a hotel, or you redeem some points during the time frame, the point expiration date will be postponed accordingly.
- The best way to use your Marriott/SPG points is to redeem for the Marriott Travel Packages: by spending [270k Marriott points (i.e. 90k SPG points)], you can get [a certificate for 7 consecutive nights at category 1~5 Marriott hotels] plus [132k UA miles or 120k AS/AC/AA etc. miles]. See A Complete Guide to the Marriott Travel Packages for more details. If you use Marriott points in this way, the value can easily be 0.9+ cents/point. The only disadvantage is that you need to accumulate a huge amount of points first.
- SPG points can be transferred to a lot of airlines miles (you don't have to have the AmEx SPG card to make the transfer), and the ratio is 1:1.25 (you get 5k bonus miles for every 20k SPG points you transfer at a time). The good options are: Alaska Airlines (AS)(Non-alliance), Japan Airlines (JL) (Oneworld), American Airlines (AA) (Oneworld), All Nippon Airways (ANA, NH) (Star Alliance), Korean Air (KE) (SkyTeam), etc. If you use Marriott points in this way, the value is about 0.7 cents/point.
- Marriott/SPG points can also be redeemed for hotel stays obviously. Here's the redemption chart for each category: Marriott redemption chart; SPG redemption chart. Generally speaking, you can get a better redemption value from lowest categories. If you use Marriott points in this way, the value is about 0.8 cents/point.
- In summary, we estimate that Marriott points are worth about 0.8 cents/point.
- For more information about SPG points, see Maximize the Credit Card Points Values (overview), and Introduction to SPG: How to Earn and Introduction to SPG: How to Use (very detailed).
Recommended Application Time
- [5/24 Rule] If you have 5 or more new accounts opened in the past 24 months, Chase will not approve your application on this card, no matter how high your credit score is. The number of new accounts includes all credit card accounts, not only Chase accounts. See this post for details about how to possibly bypass this rule.
- This product is available to you if you do not have the old Chase Marriott credit card or this card and have not received a new cardmember bonus for the old Chase Marriott credit card or this card in the past 24 months. Note that what matters here is the time you got the sign-up bonus, not the time you open the account or close the account.
- Don’t apply for more than 2 Chase credit cards within 30 days, it’s highly likely that you will get rejected.
- We recommend you to apply for this card after you have a credit history for more than a year.
Comparing to Marriott Premier card, the Premier Plus version has better points earning rate (6x vs 5x at Marriott hotels) and higher annual FN category (35k vs 25k). Although the Premier Plus card has $10 more AF, we still recommend going for the newer version. Looks like Chase will also offer points for upgrading from Marriott Premier to Marriott Premier Plus.
The annual FN offered by Marriott Premier Plus is capped at 35k per night. So you can use it at any Category 1-5 hotels in the new chart except Cat 5 high peak. By looking at previews of hotels under new chart, we find that Cat 5 can be found even in New York or Paris. This is definitely an upgrade from old Cat 1-5 FN, because it can hardly be used in any big city. We believe the new annual FN will be worth the annual fee.
In conclusion, if you don’t have any Marriott card, we recommend you sign-up the new version and keep it. If you have the older version, upgrade it to Premier Plus. Be aware the card is subject to Chase 5/24 rule.
Related Credit Cards
- AmEx SPG
- AmEx SPG Business
- AmEx SPG Luxury
- Chase Marriott Premier
- Chase Marriott Premier Plus (this post)
- Chase Marriott Business
- Chase Ritz-Carlton
Recommended Downgrade Options
- You can not downgrade this card to any card with no annual fee, so I suggest you close it when you don’t want to keep it any longer.
- Call 800-436-7927 to check Chase application status. This is an automated telephone line, and the information has the following meanings: Receive decision in 2 weeks means your application is probably approved; Receive decision in 7-10 days means your application is probably rejected; Receive decision in 30 days simply means your application requires further review and there’s nothing to tell you for now.
- Chase reconsideration backdoor number: 888-270-2127 or 888-609-7805. Call it if you didn’t get approve immediately. Your personal information will be acquired and they will then review it. You seldom answer questions, instead, just enjoy the music and then you get approved or rejected, or further information is needed to be hand in to the branch or faxed.