Citi AAdvantage MileUp Review
2018.7 Update: This card is now available for application, sign up bonus is 10k+$50. All Citi AAdvantage Bronze cards will automatically be converted to this new card.
- 10k + $50 offer: earn 10,000 AAdvantage Miles and $50 statement credit after spending $500 in first 3 months.
- We value AA Miles at 1.6 cents/point (Airline Miles Value), so the 10k+$50 highest sign-up bonus is worth about $210. See A Beginner’s Guide to AA Miles to check for details about AA Miles.
- Earn 2 AAdvantage miles per $1 spent on eligible American Airlines purchases, 2x miles on grocery stores, 1x mile on all other purchases.
- 25% savings on eligible in–flight purchases using card.
- Citi retention offer (offer for cardholders who wants to close their accounts) is typically very generous, but still, YMMV (Your mileage may vary).
- Sign-up bonus is not attractive.
- It has foreign transaction fee, so it's not a good choice outside the US.
Recommended Application Time
- [8/65 Rule] You can apply for at most 1 Citi cards every 8 days, and at most 2 Citi cards every 65 days, no matter approved or not.
- American Airlines AAdvantage bonus miles are not available if you have had any Citi AAdvantage MileUp card opened or closed in the past 24 months. Product change is treated as account closure.
- Citi values the number of recent hard pulls a lot, we recommend you apply when there’s less than 6 hard pulls in the past 6 months.
- We recommend you apply for this card after you have a credit history of at least one year.
The new no AF card could be a good downgrade candidate from other Citi AA cards. 2x miles on grocery purchases is better than nothing. However, considering low bonus offered on this card, we do not recommend signing up for this card, instead you should take higher bonus cards like Citi AAdvantage Platinum.
Related Credit Cards
- Citi AAdvantage MileUp (this post)
- Citi AAdvantage Platinum
- Citi AAdvantage Executive
- CitiBusiness AAdvantage Platinum
- Barclaycard AAdvantage Aviator Red
- Barclaycard AAdvantage Aviator Business
- Call 888-201-4523 to check Citi application status.
- Citi reconsideration backdoor number: 605-331-1698. This is a so called “Citi EO” (Executive Office) phone number. This phone number is not designed to make reconsiderations, but the representatives are really helpful.