Citi ThankYou Preferred Card Review
2017.1 Update: There’s a 15k link without 24 month restriction now, see the application link below. HT: reddit and DoC. Keep in mind that getting this card still resets the 24 month period for other ThankYou Points card, so think twice before you decide to apply for this card.
- Earn 15,000 ThankYou Points after spending $1,000 in first 3 months.
- Earn 2 ThankYou Points per $1 spent on dining and entertainment, 1 ThankYou Point per $1 spent on other purchases.
- 1 ThankYou Point worth 1 cent in cash back or travel redemption, or 1.25 cent if you have Citi ThankYou Premier Card and redeem for travel including airline tickets, hotel and car rental, or 1.6 cent if you have Citi Prestige Card and redeem for American Airlines tickets (Bank & Credit Card Points Value). So the 20k sign-up bonus could worth $320! For more information about ThankYou Points (TYP), see Maximize the Credit Card Points Values (overview) and Review of Citi ThankYou Points (TYP) (very detailed).
- No annual fee.
- Citi retention offer (offer for cardholders who wants to close their accounts) is typically very generous, but still, YMMV (Your mileage may vary).
- Foreign Transaction Fee exists, so better not use it outside United States.
- Because of Citi’s new offer rule, if you apply for this card, you will lose the chance to get the sign-up bonus for Citi Prestige or Citi ThankYou Premier in the next 24 months!
Because of Citi’s new offer rule, if you apply for this card, you will lose the chance to get the sign-up bonus for Citi Prestige or Citi ThankYou Premier in the next 24 months! So we strongly recommend not to apply for this card, just treat this card as a downgrade option.
Related Credit Cards:
- Citi ThankYou Preferred for College Students
- Citi ThankYou Preferred (this post)
- Citi ThankYou Premier
- Citi Prestige
Recommended Application Time:
- 8/65 Rule: You can apply for at most 1 Citi cards every 8 days, and at most 2 Citi cards every 65 days, no matter approved or not.
- [New] Bonus ThankYou points are not available if you have had ThankYou Preferred, ThankYou Premier or Citi Prestige card opened or closed in the past 24 months. Product change is treated as account closure.
- Citi values the number of recent hard pulls a lot, we recommend you apply when there’s less than 6 hard pulls in the past 6 months.
- This is one of the most easiest Citi card to get, but we still recommend you apply for this card after you have a credit history of at least half a year.
- Call 888-201-4523 to check Citi application status.
- Citi reconsideration backdoor number: 866-336-7285. This is a so called “Citi EO” (Executive Office) phone number. This phone number is not designed to make reconsiderations, but the representatives are really helpful.