Citi ThankYou Premier Card Review
2017.11 Update 2: People find a working link to the 50k offer! HT: DoC.
2017.11 Update: The 50k link is expired. Now there’s no sign-up bonus at all.
2017.7 Update: The sign-up bonus now becomes 50k. But remember, you can not get both bonuses from this card and Citi Prestige in 24 months because of Citi’s new policy. Citi Prestige will have some new changes soon, so in my opinion it’s really a bad time to apply for this card now. It’s better to wait and see how good the Citi Prestige changes are, and then decide which one you want to apply.
- 50k offer: earn 50,000 ThankYou Points (TYP) after spending $4,000 in first 3 months.
- We estimate that ThankYou Points (TYP) are worth about 1.3 cents/point, see below for a brief introduction. So the 50k highest sign-up bonus could be worth about $650!
- If you have this card, you can transfer your TYP to partner airlines miles. Besides, with this card, you can also use your TYP at a fixed rate 1.25 cent/point on both airlines and hotels on thankyou.com. This makes TYP worth at least 1.25 cents/point!
- Earn 3 TYP per $1 spent on travel and gas, 2 TYP per $1 spent on dining and entertainment, 1 TYP per $1 spent on other purchases. The definition of travel here is quite broad, which includes parking, tolls, public transportation and many other spendings.
- No foreign transaction fee.
- Citi retention offer (offer for cardholders who wants to close their accounts) is typically very generous, but still, YMMV (Your mileage may vary).
- $95 annual fee, waived for the first year.
- Because of Citi’s new offer rule, if you apply for this card, you will lose the chance to get the sign-up bonus for Citi Prestige in the next 24 months!
Introduction to TYP
- You can earn TYP with Citi Prestige, Citi ThankYou Premier, Citi ThankYou Preferred, Citi ATT Access More, etc.
- You can add all these cards into the same thankyou.com account, and points that are about to expire will be redeemed first in the order in which they expire automatically.
- In most cases, TYP never expire. But closing account, product change, or receiving points from other people may cause TYP on that account to expire.
- If you have Citi Prestige or Citi ThankYou Premier, TYP can be transferred to some airline miles. The best way to use TYP is to 1:1 transfer them to Asia Miles (Oneworld). Other good options are: Singapore Airlines (SQ) (Star Alliance), Flying Blue (SkyTeam), Virgin Atlantic (VS) (Non-alliance), etc. If you use TYP in this way, the value is about 1.6 cents/point.
- If you have Citi Prestige or Citi ThankYou Premier, you can redeem your TYP at a fixed rate 1.25 cents/point towards air tickets on thankyou.com; if you have Citi ThankYou Premier, you can redeem your TYP at a fixed rate 1.25 cents/point towards hotels on thankyou.com. This is one of the most common way to use TYP. Points+cash is available when redeeming for air tickets, so no need to worry if you do not have enough TYP.
- If you have Citi Prestige, or you use the "Student Loan Rebate" trick, then you can redeem your TYP at a fixed rate 1 cents/point towards cash.
- In summary, we estimate that TYP are worth about 1.3 cents/point.
- For more information about TYP, see Maximize the Credit Card Points Values (overview), and Introduction to TYP: How to Earn & Introduction to TYP: How to Use (very detailed).
Recommended Application Time
- [1/24 Rule] Bonus ThankYou points are not available if you have had ThankYou Preferred, ThankYou Premier or Citi Prestige card opened or closed in the past 24 months. Product change is treated as account closure.
- [8/65 Rule] You can apply for at most 1 Citi cards every 8 days, and at most 2 Citi cards every 65 days, no matter approved or not.
- Citi values the number of recent hard pulls a lot, we recommend you apply when there’s less than 6 hard pulls in the past 6 months.
- We recommend you apply for this card after you have a credit history of at least one year.
Citi Prestige is a better card in almost all means. Because of Citi’s new offer rule, if you apply for this card, you will lose the chance to get the sign-up bonus for Citi Prestige in the next 24 months! So I recommend not to apply for this card, go ahead for Citi Prestige instead.
Related Credit Cards
- Citi ThankYou Preferred for College Students
- Citi ThankYou Preferred
- Citi ThankYou Premier (this post)
- Citi Prestige
Recommended Downgrade Options
- Citi ThankYou Preferred. We recommend you downgrade this card to these no annual fee cards that can earn TYP, because you can keep your TYP if so. If you downgrade this card to DC/Dividend, the TYP you earned from this card will expire in 60 days.
- Call 888-201-4523 to check Citi application status.
- Citi reconsideration backdoor number: 866-336-7285. This is a so called “Citi EO” (Executive Office) phone number. This phone number is not designed to make reconsiderations, but the representatives are really helpful.
Historical Offers Chart
Note 1: The offer before 2015.4 is: earn 20k TYP after spending $2000 in the first 3 months, and another 30k after spending $3000 in the first 3 months of next year.
Note 2: The 60k offer in 2015.9 is a special link, and it probably is a glitch, so we should not expect it to appear again in the near future.