Citi Premier Card Review
2018.10 Update2: 60k offer is expired. The current offer is 50k.
2018.10 Update: This card is formerly known as Citi ThankYou Premier, and now it is called Citi Premier. HT: DoC. Remember that Citi Prestige is currently unavailable for new applications, this may be a bad sign to the whole TYP system…
2018.7.23 Update: There’s a 60k offer now.
- 50k offer: earn 50,000 ThankYou Points (TYP) after spending $4,000 in first 3 months. The recent best offer is 60k.
- We estimate that ThankYou Points (TYP) are worth about 1.6 cents/point, see below for a brief introduction. So the 60k highest sign-up bonus is worth about $960!
- If you have this card, you can transfer your TYP to partner airlines miles. Besides, with this card, you can also use your TYP at a fixed rate 1.25 cent/point on both airlines and hotels on thankyou.com. This makes TYP worth at least 1.25 cents/point!
- Earn 3 TYP per $1 spent on travel and gas, 2 TYP per $1 spent on dining and entertainment, 1 TYP per $1 spent on other purchases. The definition of travel here is quite broad, which includes parking, tolls, public transportation and many other spendings.
- No foreign transaction fee.
- $95 annual fee, waived for the first year.
Introduction to TYP
- You can earn TYP with Citi Prestige, Citi Premier, Citi Rewards+, Citi ATT Access More, etc.
- You can add all these cards into the same thankyou.com account, and points that are about to expire will be redeemed first in the order in which they expire automatically.
- In most cases, TYP never expire. But closing account, product change, or receiving points from other people may cause TYP on that account to expire.
- If you have Citi Prestige or Citi Premier, TYP can be transferred to some airline miles. The best way to use TYP is to 1:1 transfer them to Asia Miles (Oneworld) or Avianca (AV) miles (Star Alliance). Other good options are: Singapore Airlines (SQ) (Star Alliance), Flying Blue (SkyTeam), Virgin Atlantic (VS) (Non-alliance), etc. If you use TYP in this way, the value is about 1.6 cents/point.
- If you have Citi Prestige or Citi Premier, you can redeem your TYP at a fixed rate 1.25 cents/point towards air tickets on thankyou.com; if you have Citi Premier, you can redeem your TYP at a fixed rate 1.25 cents/point towards hotels on thankyou.com. This is one of the most common way to use TYP. Points+cash is available when redeeming for air tickets, so no need to worry if you do not have enough TYP.
- If you have Citi Prestige, or you use the "Student Loan Rebate" trick, then you can redeem your TYP at a fixed rate 1 cents/point towards cash.
- In summary, we estimate that TYP are worth about 1.6 cents/point.
- For more information about TYP, see Maximize the Credit Card Points Values (overview), and Introduction to TYP: How to Earn & Introduction to TYP: How to Use (very detailed).
Recommended Application Time
- [1/24 Rule] Bonus ThankYou Points are not available if you received a new cardmember bonus for Citi Rewards+, Citi ThankYou Preferred, Citi Premier or Citi Prestige, or if you have closed any of these cards, in the past 24 months. Product change is treated as account closure if the account number is changed.
- [8/65 Rule] You can apply for at most 1 Citi cards every 8 days, and at most 2 Citi cards every 65 days, no matter approved or not.
- Citi values the number of recent hard pulls a lot, we recommend you apply when there’s less than 6 hard pulls in the past 6 months.
- We recommend you apply for this card after you have a credit history of at least one year.
Because of Citi’s new rule, you have to make a choice between this card and Citi Prestige in a time frame of 24 months. Citi Prestige is a better card in almost all aspect, except the sign-up bonus. The sad thing is, the sign-up bonus of Citi Prestige is 0 for quite a while, while the sign-up bonus of this card is really good. So I would recommend to apply for this card first if you want to earn some ThankYou Points.
Related Credit Cards
Recommended Downgrade Options
- Citi Rewards+. We recommend you downgrade this card to these no annual fee cards that can earn TYP, because you can keep your TYP if so. If you downgrade this card to DC/Dividend, the TYP you earned from this card will expire in 60 days.
- Call 888-201-4523 to check Citi application status.
- Citi reconsideration backdoor number: 605-331-1698. This is a so called “Citi EO” (Executive Office) phone number. This phone number is not designed to make reconsiderations, but the representatives are really helpful.
Historical Offers Chart
Note 1: The offer before 2015.4 is: earn 20k TYP after spending $2000 in the first 3 months, and another 30k after spending $3000 in the first 3 months of next year.
Note 2: The 60k offer in 2015.9 is a special link, and it probably is a glitch, so we should not expect it to appear again in the near future.