Citi ThankYou Premier Card Review
2017.2 Update: The sign-up bonus now becomes 30k. The first year annual fee is waived.
- Earn 30,000 ThankYou Points after spending $3,000 in first 3 months.
- Earn 1 ThankYou Point (TYP) worth 1 cent in cash back or travel redemption, or 1.25 cent if you redeem for travel including airline tickets, hotel and car rental, or 1.6 cent if you have Citi Prestige Card and redeem for American Airlines / US Airway tickets (Bank & Credit Card Points Value). So the 50k sign-up bonus could worth $800! For more information about TYP, see Maximize the Credit Card Points Values (overview) and Review of Citi ThankYou Points (TYP) (very detailed).
- Earn 3 ThankYou Points per $1 spent on travel and gas, 2 ThankYou Points per $1 spent on dining and entertainment, 1 ThankYou Point per $1 spent on other purchases. The definition of travel here is quite broad, which includes parking, tolls, public transportation and many other spendings.
- Points+cash is available when redeeming for air tickets, so no need to worry if TYP is not enough.
- No Foreign Transaction Fee.
- Citi retention offer (offer for cardholders who wants to close their accounts) is typically very generous, but still, YMMV (Your mileage may vary).
- $95 annual fee, waived for the first year.
- Because of Citi’s new offer rule, if you apply for this card, you will lose the chance to get the sign-up bonus for Citi Prestige in the next 24 months!
Citi Prestige is a better card in almost all means. Because of Citi’s new offer rule, if you apply for this card, you will lose the chance to get the sign-up bonus for Citi Prestige in the next 24 months! So I recommend not to apply for this card, go ahead for Citi Prestige instead.
Related Credit Cards:
- Citi ThankYou Preferred for College Students
- Citi ThankYou Preferred
- Citi ThankYou Premier (this post)
- Citi Prestige
Recommended Downgrade Options:
- Citi ThankYou Preferred. We recommend you downgrade this card to these no annual fee cards that can earn TYP, because you can keep your TYP if so. If you downgrade this card to DC/Dividend, the TYP you earned from this card will expire in 60 days.
Recommended Application Time:
- 8/65 Rule: You can apply for at most 1 Citi cards every 8 days, and at most 2 Citi cards every 65 days, no matter approved or not.
- [New] Bonus ThankYou points are not available if you have had ThankYou Preferred, ThankYou Premier or Citi Prestige card opened or closed in the past 24 months. Product change is treated as account closure.
- Citi values the number of recent hard pulls a lot, we recommend you apply when there’s less than 6 hard pulls in the past 6 months.
- We recommend you apply for this card after you have a credit history of at least one year.
- Call 888-201-4523 to check Citi application status.
- Citi reconsideration backdoor number: 866-336-7285. This is a so called “Citi EO” (Executive Office) phone number. This phone number is not designed to make reconsiderations, but the representatives are really helpful.
Historical Offers Chart:
Note 1: The offer before 2015.4 is: earn 20k TYP after spending $2000 in the first 3 months, and another 30k after spending $3000 in the first 3 months of next year.
Note 2: The 60k offer in 2015.9 is a special link, and it probably is a glitch, so we should not expect it to appear again in the near future.