Citi ThankYou Preferred Card for College Students Review
- College students with zero credit history can get this card. Go to local branch to apply if you have no credit history.
- Earn 2 ThankYou Points per $1 spent on dining and entertainment, 1 ThankYou Point per $1 spent on other purchases.
- Earn 2,500 ThankYou Points after spending $500 in first 3 months.
- We estimate that ThankYou Points (TYP) are worth about 1.3 cents/point, see below for a brief introduction.
- No annual fee.
- Citi retention offer (offer for cardholders who wants to close their accounts) is typically very generous, but still, YMMV (Your mileage may vary).
- It has foreign transaction fee, so it's not a good choice outside the US.
- Because of Citi’s new offer rule, if you apply for this card, you will lose the chance to get the sign-up bonus for Citi Prestige or Citi ThankYou Premier in the next 24 months!
Introduction to TYP
- You can earn TYP with Citi Prestige, Citi ThankYou Premier, Citi ThankYou Preferred, Citi ATT Access More, etc.
- You can add all these cards into the same thankyou.com account, and points that are about to expire will be redeemed first in the order in which they expire automatically.
- In most cases, TYP never expire. But closing account, product change, or receiving points from other people may cause TYP on that account to expire.
- If you have Citi Prestige or Citi ThankYou Premier, TYP can be transferred to some airline miles. The best way to use TYP is to 1:1 transfer them to Asia Miles (Oneworld) or Avianca (AV) miles (Star Alliance). Other good options are: Singapore Airlines (SQ) (Star Alliance), Flying Blue (SkyTeam), Virgin Atlantic (VS) (Non-alliance), etc. If you use TYP in this way, the value is about 1.6 cents/point.
- If you have Citi Prestige or Citi ThankYou Premier, you can redeem your TYP at a fixed rate 1.25 cents/point towards air tickets on thankyou.com; if you have Citi ThankYou Premier, you can redeem your TYP at a fixed rate 1.25 cents/point towards hotels on thankyou.com. This is one of the most common way to use TYP. Points+cash is available when redeeming for air tickets, so no need to worry if you do not have enough TYP.
- If you have Citi Prestige, or you use the "Student Loan Rebate" trick, then you can redeem your TYP at a fixed rate 1 cents/point towards cash.
- In summary, we estimate that TYP are worth about 1.6 cents/point.
- For more information about TYP, see Maximize the Credit Card Points Values (overview), and Introduction to TYP: How to Earn & Introduction to TYP: How to Use (very detailed).
Recommended Application Time
- [1/24 Rule] Bonus ThankYou points are not available if you have had ThankYou Preferred, ThankYou Premier or Citi Prestige card opened or closed in the past 24 months. Product change is treated as account closure.
- [8/65 Rule] You can apply for at most 1 Citi cards every 8 days, and at most 2 Citi cards every 65 days, no matter approved or not.
- You can apply for it even without any credit history and without SSN (please go to a branch to apply if you don’t have any credit history)!
The reward rate of this card is not high. The only real advantage of this card is you can get it without any credit history, but there’s a better choice if you don’t have credit history: Discover it. Because of Citi’s new offer rule, if you apply for this card, you will lose the chance to get the sign-up bonus for Citi Prestige or Citi ThankYou Premier in the next 24 months! So we strongly recommend not to apply for this card.
Related Credit Cards
- Citi ThankYou Preferred for College Students (this post)
- Citi ThankYou Preferred
- Citi ThankYou Premier
- Citi Prestige
- Call 888-201-4523 to check Citi application status.
- Citi reconsideration backdoor number: 605-331-1698. This is a so called “Citi EO” (Executive Office) phone number. This phone number is not designed to make reconsiderations, but the representatives are really helpful.