Citi ThankYou Preferred Card for College Students Review
- College students with zero credit history can get this card. Go to local branch to apply if you have no credit history.
- Earn 2 ThankYou Points per $1 spent on dining and entertainment, 1 ThankYou Point per $1 spent on other purchases.
- Earn 2,500 ThankYou Points after spending $500 in first 3 months.
- 1 ThankYou Point worth 1 cent in cash back, or 1.25 cent if you have Citi ThankYou Premier Card and purchase airline tickets, or 1.6 cent if you have Citi Prestige Card and purchase American Airline tickets (Bank & Credit Card Points Value). For more information about ThankYou Points (TYP), see Maximize the Credit Card Points Values (overview) and Review of Citi ThankYou Points (TYP) (very detailed).
- No annual fee.
- Citi retention offer (offer for cardholders who wants to close their accounts) is typically very generous, but still, YMMV (Your mileage may vary).
- Foreign Transaction Fee exists, so better not use it outside United States.
- Because of Citi’s new offer rule, if you apply for this card, you will lose the chance to get the sign-up bonus for Citi Prestige or Citi ThankYou Premier in the next 24 months!
The reward rate of this card is not high. The only real advantage of this card is you can get it without any credit history, but there’s a better choice if you don’t have credit history: Discover it. Because of Citi’s new offer rule, if you apply for this card, you will lose the chance to get the sign-up bonus for Citi Prestige or Citi ThankYou Premier in the next 24 months! So we strongly recommend not to apply for this card.
Related Credit Cards:
- Citi ThankYou Preferred for College Students (this post)
- Citi ThankYou Preferred
- Citi ThankYou Premier
- Citi Prestige
Recommended Application Time:
- 8/65 Rule: You can apply for at most 1 Citi cards every 8 days, and at most 2 Citi cards every 65 days, no matter approved or not.
- [New] Bonus ThankYou points are not available if you have had ThankYou Preferred, ThankYou Premier or Citi Prestige card opened or closed in the past 24 months. Product change is treated as account closure.
- You can apply for it even without any credit history and without SSN (please go to a branch to apply if you don’t have any credit history)!
- Call 888-201-4523 to check Citi application status.
- Citi reconsideration backdoor number: 866-336-7285. This is a so called “Citi EO” (Executive Office) phone number. This phone number is not designed to make reconsiderations, but the representatives are really helpful.