Citi AAdvantage Platinum Select World MasterCard (Citi AA) Review
2018.2 Update: Data points from our readers and DoC show that, you may be able to get matched to 75k offer if you applied recently! No harm to try, just send a secure message and ask for it!
2017.10 Update: The 60k offer returns! Note that the 24-month language exists.
- 60k offer: earn 60,000 AAdvantage Miles after spending $3,000 in first 3 months! This is the best offer in recent years.
- 10% of your redeemed miles back. 10,000 miles maximum per calendar year.
- We value AA Miles at 1.6 cents/point (Airline Miles Value), but you will earn 10% of your redeemed AAdvantage miles back with this card, which makes 1 mile worth about 1.78 cent for this card. So the 60k highest sign-up bonus is worth about $1068! See A Beginner’s Guide to AA Miles to check for details about AA Miles.
- Earn 2 AAdvantage miles per $1 spent on eligible American Airlines purchases, 1 AAdvantage mile per $1 on other purchases.
- First checked bag free on domestic American Airlines flights for you and up to four companions.
- Priority boarding on American Airlines flights.
- 25% savings on eligible in–flight purchases using card.
- No foreign transaction fee.
- Citi retention offer (offer for cardholders who wants to close their accounts) is typically very generous, but still, YMMV (Your mileage may vary).
- $95 annual fee, but waived for the first year.
Recommended Application Time
- [8/65 Rule] You can apply for at most 1 Citi cards every 8 days, and at most 2 Citi cards every 65 days, no matter approved or not.
- [New] American Airlines AAdvantage bonus miles are not available if you have had any Citi AAdvantage card (other than a CitiBusiness AAdvantage card) opened or closed in the past 24 months. Product change is treated as account closure.
- Citi values the number of recent hard pulls a lot, we recommend you apply when there’s less than 6 hard pulls in the past 6 months.
- We recommend you apply for this card after you have a credit history of at least one year.
The value of the highest sign-up bonus 60k AA Miles is about $1068, which makes it one of the best sign-up bonus and thus worth applying for almost anyone who may use miles. However, the earnings rate is not impressive, which makes it hard to cover the $95 annual fee. If you fly AA a lot so that the AA related perks make up the annual fee, this credit card is worth keeping. Otherwise you can consider downgrading it to some cards with no annual fee.
Related Credit Cards
- Citi AAdvantage Gold
- Citi AAdvantage Platinum (this post)
- Citi AAdvantage Executive
- CitiBusiness AAdvantage Platinum
- Barclaycard AAdvantage Aviator Red
Recommended Downgrade Options
- Call 888-201-4523 to check Citi application status.
- Citi reconsideration backdoor number: 866-336-7285. This is a so called “Citi EO” (Executive Office) phone number. This phone number is not designed to make reconsiderations, but the representatives are really helpful.