Citi AAdvantage Platinum Select World MasterCard (Citi AA) Review
2018.12 Update: The offer has changed, it is still 60k but the spending requirement is higher. Don’t forget to try to ask online chat representatives to match 75k offer.
2018.7 Update: The previous 50k+$200 offer is now expired. The current best offer is 60k. It is still possible to get matched to 75k.
- 60k offer: earn 50,000 AAdvantage Miles after spending $3,000 within the first 3 months, and earn 10,000 AAdvantage Miles after spending a total of $6,000 within the first 12 months. That’s 60k in total.
- 10% of your redeemed miles back. 10,000 miles maximum per calendar year.
- We value AA Miles at 1.6 cents/point (Airline Miles Value), but you will earn 10% of your redeemed AAdvantage miles back with this card, which makes 1 mile worth about 1.78 cent for this card. So the 50k+$200 highest sign-up bonus is worth about $1090! See A Beginner’s Guide to AA Miles to check for details about AA Miles.
- Earn 2x AAdvantage miles per $1 spent on Restaurants, Gas Stations, and eligible American Airlines purchases, 1x AAdvantage mile per $1 on other purchases.
- First checked bag free on domestic American Airlines flights for you and up to four companions.
- Priority boarding on American Airlines flights.
- 25% savings on eligible in–flight purchases using card.
- No foreign transaction fee.
- $95 annual fee, but waived for the first year. After 2018.7.22, the annual fee will be $99.
Recommended Application Time
- [8/65 Rule] You can apply for at most 1 Citi cards every 8 days, and at most 2 Citi cards every 65 days, no matter approved or not.
- [New] American Airlines AAdvantage bonus miles are not available if you have had any Citi AAdvantage card (other than a CitiBusiness AAdvantage card) opened or closed in the past 24 months. Product change is treated as account closure.
- Citi values the number of recent hard pulls a lot, we recommend you apply when there’s less than 6 hard pulls in the past 6 months.
- We recommend you apply for this card after you have a credit history of at least one year.
The sign-up bonus is one of the best sign-up bonus, therefore it is worth applying for almost anyone who may use miles. However, the earnings rate is not impressive, which makes it hard to cover the $95 annual fee. If you fly AA a lot so that the AA related perks make up the annual fee, this credit card is worth keeping. Otherwise you can consider downgrading it to some cards with no annual fee.
Related Credit Cards
- Citi AAdvantage MileUp
- Citi AAdvantage Platinum (this post)
- Citi AAdvantage Executive
- CitiBusiness AAdvantage Platinum
- Barclaycard AAdvantage Aviator Red
- Barclaycard AAdvantage Aviator Business
Recommended Downgrade Options
- Call 888-201-4523 to check Citi application status.
- Citi reconsideration backdoor number: 605-331-1698. This is a so called “Citi EO” (Executive Office) phone number. This phone number is not designed to make reconsiderations, but the representatives are really helpful.