Chase Marriott Rewards Premier Credit Card Review
2017.5.4 Update: The 100k+7.5k offer.
- 80k+7.5k offer: Earn 80,000 Marriott Points after spending $3000 in 3 months, and earn 7,500 Marriott Points after you add an authorized user and make a purchase in 3 months. The best offer is 100k+7.5k offer, you can wait for the highest sign-up bonus if you are not in an urgent situation.
- Marriott point can be transferred to the most flexible and valuable points — SPG points instantly in both directions at a ratio 3:1. We estimate that Marriott points are worth about 0.8 cents/point, see below for a brief introduction. So the 107.5k highest sign-up bonus is worth about 860!
- After each anniversary date, you will be credited a free night (FN) available for category 1-5 at Marriott.
- Earn 5x points at Marriott and Ritz-Carlton. Earn 2x at restaurant, car rental and airlines. All other purchases earn 1 point per dollar spent.
- Complimentary Marriott Silver status.
- No foreign transaction fee.
- It’s made of metal, so it’s quite heavy and the feel of this card is cool.
- Refer a friend (targeted): You can earn 5,000 bonus Marriott points for every approved account you refer, up to a maximum of 10 approved referrals (50,000 Marriott points) per calendar year.
- Annual fee $85, NOT waived for first year.
- Free night is only valid for one year.
Introduction to Marriott Points
- Marriott points and SPG points can be transferred in both directions instantly at a 3:1 ratio.
- You can earn Marriott/SPG points with AmEx SPG, Chase Marriott, Chase Ritz-Carlton, AmEx SPG Business, Chase Marriott Business.
- Marriott/SPG points are stored in your Marriott/SPG account, not in your credit cards, so you won't lose your points by canceling the credit cards.
- Your Marriott points will expire if you don't earn or spend any Marriott points in 24 months; your SPG points will expire if you don't earn or spend any SPG points in 12 months. As long as you earn make a purchase with the corresponding credit cards or stay in a hotel, or you redeem some points during the time frame, the point expiration date will be postponed accordingly.
- The best way to use your Marriott/SPG points is to redeem for the Marriott Travel Packages: by spending [270k Marriott points (i.e. 90k SPG points)], you can get [a certificate for 7 consecutive nights at category 1~5 Marriott hotels] plus [132k UA miles or 120k AS/AC/AA etc. miles]. See A Complete Guide to the Marriott Travel Packages for more details. If you use Marriott points in this way, the value can easily be 0.9+ cents/point. The only disadvantage is that you need to accumulate a huge amount of points first.
- SPG points can be transferred to a lot of airlines miles (you don't have to have the AmEx SPG card to make the transfer), and the ratio is 1:1.25 (you get 5k bonus miles for every 20k SPG points you transfer at a time). The good options are: Alaska Airlines (AS)(Non-alliance), Japan Airlines (JL) (Oneworld), American Airlines (AA) (Oneworld), All Nippon Airways (ANA, NH) (Star Alliance), Korean Air (KE) (SkyTeam), etc. If you use Marriott points in this way, the value is about 0.7 cents/point.
- Marriott/SPG points can also be redeemed for hotel stays obviously. Here's the redemption chart for each category: Marriott redemption chart; SPG redemption chart. Generally speaking, you can get a better redemption value from lowest categories. If you use Marriott points in this way, the value is about 0.8 cents/point.
- In summary, we estimate that Marriott points are worth about 0.8 cents/point.
- For more information about SPG points, see Maximize the Credit Card Points Values (overview), and Introduction to SPG: How to Earn and Introduction to SPG: How to Use (very detailed).
Recommended Application Time
- [5/24 Rule] If you have 5 or more new accounts opened in the past 24 months, Chase will reject your application for this card.The number of new accounts includes all credit card accounts, not only Chase accounts. Recently some data points have shown that there are exceptions to this rule, but if you really want this card, play it safe and be sure to apply for it as soon as you are eligible. See this post for details.
- This product is available to you if you do not have this card and have not received a new cardmember bonus for this card in the past 24 months. Note that what matters here is the time you got the sign-up bonus, not the time you open the account or close the account.
- Don’t apply for more than 2 Chase credit cards within 30 days, it’s highly likely that you will get rejected.
- We recommend you to apply for this card after you have a credit history for more than a year.
The ~80k points highest sign-up bonus not only can be used to redeem for nights directly, but also can be used to get the Marriott Travel Packages. Just make sure you applying for both Chase Marriott and Ritz-Carlton both at their best offer time. Besides numerous points, the annual free night is a good reason to keep the card, it’s indeed worth $85 annual fee. So if you are a big Marriott fan, you should definitely keep it.
Related Credit Cards
Recommended Downgrade Options
- You can not downgrade this card to any card with no annual fee, so I suggest you close it when you don’t want to keep it any longer.
- Call 800-436-7927 to check Chase application status. This is an automated telephone line, and the information has the following meanings: Receive decision in 2 weeks means your application is probably approved; Receive decision in 7-10 days means your application is probably rejected; Receive decision in 30 days simply means your application requires further review and there’s nothing to tell you for now.
- Chase reconsideration backdoor number: 888-270-2127 or 888-609-7805. Call it if you didn’t get approve immediately. Your personal information will be acquired and they will then review it. You seldom answer questions, instead, just enjoy the music and then you get approved or rejected, or further information is needed to be hand in to the branch or faxed.