Marriott Bonvoy Bold™ Credit Card Review
2022.10 Update: The 60k offer is expired. The current offers are 30k.
2022.9 Update: The 60k offer is back. However, I need to emphasize this again: don’t apply for this card! Because it makes you ineligible for Chase Marriott Bonvoy Boundless which has a higher sign-up bonus.
2022.7 Update: The 60k offer is expired. The current offers are 30k.
- 30k offer: Earn 30,000 Marriott points after spending $1,000 in the first 3 months from account opening. The recent best offer is 60k.
- Marriott point is now the most flexible points (after the merger with SPG). We estimate that Marriott points are worth about 0.7 cents/point, see below for a brief introduction. So the 60k highest sign-up bonus is worth about $420.
- Earn 3x Marriott points at Marriott hotels (including Marriott, Ritz-Carlton and SPG brands). Earn 2x Marriott points travel, and 1x on everything else.
- Earn 15 elite nights each calendar year (elite nights are for status, not free nights). You will only receive Elite Night Credits from ONE Marriott co-branded personal credit card even if you have more than one Marriott/SPG/Ritz-Carlton credit cards. You can get 15 more Elite Night Credits if you have a Marriott co-branded business credit card.
- No foreign transaction fee.
- No annual fee.
Introduction to Marriott Points
- Marriott points are the most flexible transferable points (After the merging with SPG, Marriott obtained all its airline partners).
- You can earn Marriott points with Chase Marriott Bonvoy Boundless, Chase Marriott Bonvoy Bold, AmEx Marriott Bonvoy Brilliant, AmEx Marriott Bonvoy Business, and the following cards that do not accept new applications but accept product change: Chase Ritz-Carlton, and AmEx Marriott Bonvoy.
- Marriott points are stored in your Marriott account, not in your credit cards, so you won't lose your points by canceling the credit cards.
- Your Marriott points will expire if you don't earn or spend any Marriott points in 24 months. As long as you earn make a purchase with the corresponding credit cards or stay in a hotel, or you redeem some points during the time frame, the point expiration date will be postponed accordingly.
- Marriott points can be transferred to a lot of airlines miles (you don't have to have a Marriott related credit card to make the transfer), and the ratio is 3:1.25 (i.e. 3:1 transfer rate, plus you get 5k bonus miles for every 60k Marriott points you transfer at a time). The good options are: Alaska Airlines (AS) (Non-alliance), Japan Airlines (JL) (Oneworld), United Airlines (UA) (Star Alliance), American Airlines (AA) (Oneworld), All Nippon Airways (ANA, NH) (Star Alliance), Korean Air (KE) (SkyTeam), etc. If you use Marriott points in this way, the value is about 0.7 cents/point.
- Marriott points can also be redeemed for hotel stays obviously. Here's the redemption chart: Marriott redemption chart. Generally speaking, you can get a better redemption value from lowest categories. If you use Marriott points in this way, the value is about 0.7 cents/point.
- In summary, we estimate that Marriott points are worth about 0.7 cents/point.
Recommended Application Time
- [5/24 Rule] If you have 5 or more new accounts opened in the past 24 months, Chase will not approve your application on this card, no matter how high your credit score is. The number of new accounts includes all credit card accounts, not only Chase accounts. See this post for details about how to possibly bypass this rule.
- This product is available to you if you do not have the old Chase Marriott credit card, Chase Marriott Bonvoy Boundless, or this card and have not received a new cardmember bonus for the old Chase Marriott credit card, Chase Marriott Bonvoy Boundless, or this card in the past 24 months. Note that what matters here is the time you got the sign-up bonus, not the time you open the account or close the account.
- [New] The bonus is not available to you if you:
- are a current cardmember, or were a previous cardmember within the last 30 days, of AmEx Marriott Bonvoy (Formerly AmEx SPG);
- applied and were approved for AmEx Marriott Bonvoy Business (Formerly AmEx SPG Business), AmEx Marriott Bonvoy Bevy, or AmEx Marriott Bonvoy Brilliant (Formerly AmEx SPG Luxury) within the last 90 days.
- or are a current or previous cardmember of either AmEx Marriott Bonvoy Business (Formerly AmEx SPG Business), AmEx Marriott Bonvoy Bevy, or AmEx Marriott Bonvoy Brilliant (Formerly AmEx SPG Luxury), and received a new cardmember bonus or upgrade bonus in the last 24 months.
- Don』t apply for more than 2 Chase credit cards within 30 days, it』s highly likely that you will get rejected.
- We recommend you to apply for this card after you have a credit history for more than a year.
This card is not worth applying, because it makes you ineligible for Chase Marriott Bonvoy Boundless which has a higher sign-up bonus. However, it is a very good downgrade option for Chase Marriott Bonvoy Boundless or Chase Ritz-Carlton. With this card, you still earn 15 elite nights every year even if you throw it in a sock drawer (you still need to use it at least once a year though, to avoid account shutdown).
Related Credit Cards
- Chase Marriott Bonvoy Bold (this post)
- Chase Marriott Bonvoy Boundless
- Chase Marriott Bonvoy Bountiful
- Chase Ritz-Carlton
- AmEx Marriott Bonvoy
- AmEx Marriott Bonvoy Business
- AmEx Marriott Bonvoy Bevy
- AmEx Marriott Bonvoy Brilliant
|Chase Marriott Bonvoy Bold||Chase Marriott Bonvoy Boundless||Chase Marriott Bonvoy Bountiful||Chase Ritz-Carlton||AmEx Marriott Bonvoy||AmEx Marriott Bonvoy Business||AmEx Marriott Bonvoy Bevy||AmEx Marriott Bonvoy Brilliant|
|Various Credit||none||none||none||$300 airline incidental credit||none||none||none||$25*12 dining credit|
|Free Night||none||up to 35k||none||up to 85k||up to 35k||up to 35k||none||up to 85k|
|Elite Nights||15N||15N||15N||15N||15N||15N (extra)||15N||25N|
|Sign-up Bonus||60k||100k||125k||Can't apply directly||Can't apply directly||100k||125k||150k|
- Call 800-436-7927 to check Chase application status. This is an automated telephone line, and the information has the following meanings: Receive decision in 2 weeks means your application is probably approved; Receive decision in 7-10 days means your application is probably rejected; Receive decision in 30 days simply means your application requires further review and there’s nothing to tell you for now.
- Chase reconsideration backdoor number: 888-270-2127 or 888-609-7805. Call it if you didn』t get approve immediately. Your personal information will be acquired and they will then review it. You seldom answer questions, instead, just enjoy the music and then you get approved or rejected, or further information is needed to be hand in to the branch or faxed.