Chase Aeroplan® Card Review
2022.4 Update: The new offer is 50k certificate+10x offer: earn a Welcome Flight Reward worth up to 50,000 points after you spend $3,000 in the first 3 months + up to 51,000 points through 10x total points on travel and dining (note that this is total 10x points, not additional 10x points) in the first 6 months. The application link for the old offer (2x 50k certificates offer) is still alive if you are interested. There’s also a $250+20k+60k offer.
- 50k certificate+10x offer: earn a Welcome Flight Reward worth up to 50,000 points after you spend $3,000 in the first 3 months + up to 51,000 points through 10x total points on travel and dining (note that this is total 10x points, not additional 10x points) in the first 6 months.
- We value AC miles at 1.4 cents (Airline Miles Value), so the 2*50k certificates sign-up bonus is worth about $1,120 even if we estimate the certificates at 80% of face value!
- Earn 3 AC miles per $1 spent on purchases with Air Canada, grocery, and restaurants. And earn 1 AC miles per $1 spent on all other purchases.
- Earn 500 AC miles for every $2,000 you spend in a calendar month – up to 1,500 miles per month.
- Aeroplan 25K Status: As a new cardmember, you get complimentary Aeroplan 25K Status for the remainder of the calendar year, plus the following calendar year. You can keep your Aeroplan 25K Status with $15,000 in account spend during a calendar year.
- Level Up Aeroplan Status: Earn an Elite Status Level Up of one tier to 35K Status or higher for existing status holders with $50,000 in account spend during a calendar year.
- First check bag free for the primary cardmember and up to eight (8) other passengers traveling on the same reservation.
- Holding this card prevents Aeroplan miles from expiring (otherwise they will expire if there is no activity in 18 months). If your Aeroplan miles expire accidentally, you can reinstate your Aeroplan miles if you apply for this credit card within 6 months.
- Global Entry or TSA PreCheck® or NEXUS Fee Credit.
- No foreign transaction fee.
- Annual fee $95, NOT waived first year.
Recommended Application Time
- [5/24 Rule] If you have 5 or more new accounts opened in the past 24 months, Chase will not approve your application on this card, no matter how high your credit score is. The number of new accounts includes all credit card accounts, not only Chase accounts. See this post for details about how to possibly bypass this rule.
- This product is available to you if you do not have this card and have not received a new cardmember bonus for this card in the past 24 months. Note that what matters here is the time you got the sign-up bonus, not the time you open the account or close the account.
- Don’t apply for more than 2 Chase credit cards within 30 days, or it’s highly likely that you will get rejected.
- We recommend you to apply for this card after you have a credit history for more than a year.
The 50k certificate should be used only towards flights costing 50k miles or more, so its flexibility is slightly less than the miles themselves. This is something new in the game.
AC miles can be obtained from Chase UR points, AmEx MR points, or Capital One Miles, so it is a pretty popular miles program. If you have plans to play with AC miles, then this card is worth considering.
Another highlight is the AC 25k status. You should consider this card if you find this status useful to you.
- Call 800-436-7927 to check Chase application status. This is an automated telephone line, and the information has the following meanings: Receive decision in 2 weeks means your application is probably approved; Receive decision in 7-10 days means your application is probably rejected; Receive decision in 30 days simply means your application requires further review and there’s nothing to tell you for now.
- Chase reconsideration backdoor number: 888-270-2127 or 888-609-7805. Call it if you didn’t get approve immediately. Your personal information will be acquired and they will then review it. You seldom answer questions, instead, just enjoy the music and then you get approved or rejected, or further information is needed to be hand in to the branch or faxed.