United Gateway℠ Card Review
- 20k offer: earn 20,000 United miles after spending $1,000 in 3 months.
- Earn 2 miles per $1 spent on United Airlines purchases, at gas stations and on local transit and commuting.
- [Limited Time] Earn 3 miles per $1 spent at grocery stores, on up to $1,500 per month through 9/30/2021.
- Get 25% bonus miles on MileagePlus X purchases. (You don’t have to use this card to make the purchase; instead, you will get the bonus as long as you have this card under your UA account.)
- More award availability (XN cabin) with this card.
- Earn 25% back on in flight purchases.
- No foreign transaction fee.
- No annual fee.
- There’s no free checked bag, priority boarding etc. benefits.
Recommended Application Time
- [5/24 Rule] If you have 5 or more new accounts opened in the past 24 months, Chase will not approve your application on this card, no matter how high your credit score is. The number of new accounts includes all credit card accounts, not only Chase accounts. See this post for details about how to possibly bypass this rule.
- You are not eligible for this sign-up bonus if you received a sign-up bonus on this card within 24 months. Note that what matters here is the time you got the sign-up bonus, not the time you opened or closed the account.
- Don’t apply for more than 2 Chase credit cards within 30 days, or it’s highly likely that you will get rejected.
- We recommend you to apply for this card after you have a credit history for more than a year.
This card is suitable downgrade option for Chase United Explorer or Chase United Club. We do not recommend to apply for it directly because the 5/24 slots are very valuable. Since holding this card gives you the ability to see expanded award availability (XN cabin), it is worth keeping in the drawer.
Related Credit Cards
- Chase United Gateway (this post)
- Chase United Explorer
- Chase United Business
- Chase United Club
- Chase United Club Business