Chase United MileagePlus Explorer Card (Chase UA Explorer) Review
2018.6 Update: All the links are now updated to the new benefits. The new card also has a 50k+5k public offer, and it also has a possible 60k+5k targeted offer! Offer ends on 07/16. HT: DoC&Running with Miles.
2018.5 Update: New benefits are coming to this card on Jun 1st, and the Chase official webpage has already shown the new benefits. According to Chase’s definition, this card named “Chase United MileagePlus Explorer Card” will no longer exist, and there will be a new card named “Chase United Explorer Card”. These two cards are quite similar, just with these differences:
- The new card earns 2x UA Miles on restaurants and hotels.
- The new card has up to $100 Global Entry or TSA Pre✓® Fee Credit.
- The new card earns 25% back on in flight purchases.
- The new card no longer has the benefit of 10,000 UA miles after $25,000 spending.
- The new card has a new design, as shown in the featured image.
The most important thing: the sign up bonus of the new card is just 40k+5k+$100, so if you want to get a higher sign up bonus, apply now before all the old links die!
- 50k+5k offer: get 50k United miles after $3000 spending in 3 months. Get 5k additional miles after adding an authorized user on your account. The recent best public offer is 50k+5k+$100, and the best targeted offer is 70k+5k+$50 (first year annual fee NOT waived).
- We value UA miles at 1.6 cents (Airline Miles Value). So the 55k+$100 sign-up bonus is worth about $980. See A Beginner’s Guide to UA Miles to check for details about UA Miles.
- New: Earn 2x UA miles on United, restaurants and hotels. Earn 1x UA mile per dollar spent on all other purchases.
- “Use miles for any seat, any time, on any United flights” Opens up award availability.
- Get 2 United Club one-time passes each year.
- First checked bag free on United flights when purchasing tickets (or paying the tax and fees for award tickets) with this card..
- Group 2 boarding on United flights when purchasing tickets (or paying the tax and fees for award tickets) with this card.
- New: earn 25% back on in flight purchases.
- Get 25% bonus miles on MileagePlus X purchases.
- New: up to $100 的 Global Entry or TSA Pre✓® Fee Credit
- No foreign transaction fee.
- Refer a friend (targeted): You can earn 5,000 bonus UA miles for every approved account you refer, up to a maximum of 10 approved referrals (50,000 UA miles) per calendar year.
- Annual fee $95, waived for the first year.
Recommended Application Time
- [5/24 Rule] If you have 5 or more new accounts opened in the past 24 months, Chase will reject your application for this card.The number of new accounts includes all credit card accounts, not only Chase accounts. Recently some data points have shown that there are exceptions to this rule, but if you really want this card, play it safe and be sure to apply for it as soon as you are eligible. See this post for details.
- You are not eligible for this sign-up bonus if you received a sign-up bonus on this card within 24 months. Note that what matters here is the time you got the sign-up bonus, not the time you opened or closed the account.
- Don’t apply for more than 2 Chase credit cards within 30 days, or it’s highly likely that you will get rejected.
- We recommend you to apply for this card after you have a credit history for more than a year.
The value of 50k+5k UA Miles+$100 highest sign-up bonus is about $980, which makes it one of the best sign-up bonuses. However, the reward rate is not very impressive, which makes it hard to justify the $95 annual fee. If you fly UA a lot so that the UA related perks make up the annual fee, this credit card is worth keeping. Otherwise you can consider downgrading it.
Related Credit Cards
- Chase United MileagePlus Rewards
- Chase United MileagePlus Explorer (this post)
- Chase United MileagePlus Explorer Business
- Chase United MileagePlus Club
- Chase United MileagePlus Club Business
Recommended Downgrade Options
- Call 800-436-7927 to check Chase application status. This is an automated telephone line, and the information has the following meanings: Receive decision in 2 weeks means your application is probably approved; Receive decision in 7-10 days means your application is probably rejected; Receive decision in 30 days simply means your application requires further review and there’s nothing to tell you for now.
- Chase reconsideration backdoor number: 888-270-2127 or 888-609-7805. Call it if you didn’t get approve immediately. Your personal information will be acquired and they will then review it. You seldom answer questions, instead, just enjoy the music and then you get approved or rejected, or further information is needed to be hand in to the branch or faxed.