AT&T Access Card from Citi Review
- Earn 10,000 ThankYou Points (TYP) after spending $1000 in the first 3 months. Note that you won’t get a free phone with this card, it’s Citi AT&T Access More that can give you a free phone.
- We estimate that ThankYou Points (TYP) are worth about 1.3 cents/point, see below for a brief introduction. So the 10k highest sign-up bonus could be worth about $130.
- Earn 2 ThankYou Points per $1 spent at AT&T and “online purchases at retail and travel websites”, 1 ThankYou Point per $1 spent on other purchases.
- According to FlyerTalk and other forums, “Online purchases at retail and travel websites” includes, but not limited to the following stores: Amazon, Ebay, Mileage Plus X (MPX); Online at retail and travel websites” does NOT include Apple.
- No annual fee.
- Citi retention offer (offer for cardholders who wants to close their accounts) is typically very generous, but still, YMMV (Your mileage may vary).
- It has foreign transaction fee, so it's not a good choice outside the US.
Introduction to TYP
- You can earn TYP with Citi Prestige, Citi ThankYou Premier, Citi ThankYou Preferred, Citi ATT Access More, etc.
- You can add all these cards into the same thankyou.com account, and points that are about to expire will be redeemed first in the order in which they expire automatically.
- In most cases, TYP never expire. But closing account, product change, or receiving points from other people may cause TYP on that account to expire.
- If you have Citi Prestige or Citi ThankYou Premier, TYP can be transferred to some airline miles. The best way to use TYP is to 1:1 transfer them to Asia Miles (Oneworld) or Avianca (AV) miles (Star Alliance). Other good options are: Singapore Airlines (SQ) (Star Alliance), Flying Blue (SkyTeam), Virgin Atlantic (VS) (Non-alliance), etc. If you use TYP in this way, the value is about 1.6 cents/point.
- If you have Citi Prestige or Citi ThankYou Premier, you can redeem your TYP at a fixed rate 1.25 cents/point towards air tickets on thankyou.com; if you have Citi ThankYou Premier, you can redeem your TYP at a fixed rate 1.25 cents/point towards hotels on thankyou.com. This is one of the most common way to use TYP. Points+cash is available when redeeming for air tickets, so no need to worry if you do not have enough TYP.
- If you have Citi Prestige, or you use the "Student Loan Rebate" trick, then you can redeem your TYP at a fixed rate 1 cents/point towards cash.
- In summary, we estimate that TYP are worth about 1.3 cents/point.
- For more information about TYP, see Maximize the Credit Card Points Values (overview), and Introduction to TYP: How to Earn & Introduction to TYP: How to Use (very detailed).
Recommended Application Time
- [1/24 Rule] Bonus ThankYou Points not available if you have had any AT&T Access card or AT&T Access More card opened or closed in the past 24 months.
- [8/65 Rule] You can apply for at most 1 Citi cards every 8 days, and at most 2 Citi cards every 65 days, no matter approved or not.
- Citi values the number of recent hard pulls a lot, we recommend you apply when there’s less than 6 hard pulls in the past 6 months.
- We recommend you apply for this card after you have a credit history of at least one year.
Both the sign-up bonus and points earning ability are just so-so, so it’s not worth much applying. But it is a good card as a downgrade option! If you convert your cards that earns TYP (such as Citi Prestige, Citi ThankYou Premier, etc.) to this card that also earns TYP, your TYP won’t expire; on the other hand, if you convert them to cashback card such as Double Cash (DC), the TYP you earned will expire in 60 days. Compared to Citi ThankYou Preferred that can also earn TYP, the benefit of this card is the 2x bonus category is broader.
Related Credit Cards
- Citi AT&T Access (this post)
- Citi AT&T Access More (Discontinued)
Note that, when people talk about Citi AT&T credit card, they usually refer to the Citi AT&T Access More that basically gives you a free phone and has an annual fee. This no annual fee version is a different card, it does not give you a free phone. The different on the card design is on the orange “More” text.
- Call 888-201-4523 to check Citi application status.
- Citi reconsideration backdoor number: 866-336-7285. This is a so called “Citi EO” (Executive Office) phone number. This phone number is not designed to make reconsiderations, but the representatives are really helpful.