Gold Delta SkyMiles from American Express Review
2019.2 Update: The new public offer is 60k+$50. The 75k targeted offer is still better.
2019.1 Update: It seems many people received 75k/60k targeted mail offer these days. The application link does not include the one bonus per lifetime sentence, which means this is a churnable offer!
- 60k+$50 offer: earn 60,000 Miles after spending $2,000 in first 3 months. Earn $50 after using your card to make a Delta purchase in the first 3 months, and if you don’t know what to buy, you can buy some Delta Gift Cards for future Delta flights. The highest public offer is 60k+$100, and the highest target offer is 75k+$50. Because you can only get one sign-up bonus for this card for a lifetime, please wait until the highest sign-up bonus shows up!
- We value Delta Miles at 1.3 cents/mile (Airline Miles Value). So the 60k sign-up bonus is worth about $780! See A Beginner’s Guide to Delta Miles to check for details about Delta Miles.
- Earn 2 miles per $1 spent on Delta purchases; 1 mile per $1 on other purchases.
- First checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Priority boarding on Delta flights.
- 20% savings on in–flight foods and entertainment.
- With this credit card, you can get access to Amex Offers, which often offers very good discounts at some stores. In the past we have seen offers like: Spend $15 or more and get $5 back at Walmart; Spend $75 or more and get $25 back on Amazon.com.
- No foreign transaction fee.
- Refer a friend: You can earn 10,000 bonus Delta miles for every approved account you refer, up to 55,000 Delta miles per calendar year.
- $95 annual fee, but waived for the first year.
Recommended Application Time
- You can get the sign-up bonus once in a lifetime, so be sure to apply when the historically highest offer appears.
- AmEx doesn’t care about the number of hard pulls.
- You can try to apply for it when you have a credit history of 6 months.
- Only 2 AmEx credit cards can be approved within 90 days, but this rule does not apply to charge cards. Multiple cards approved in the same day will only have one Hard Pull.
- You can keep at most 5 AmEx credit cards, but this rule does not apply to charge cards.
Delta does not publish an award chart which makes this valuation a bit difficult. However, if you fly Delta a lot/have a particular redemption in mind, this is a very good sign up bonus! The reward rate is not very impressive but the typical benefits that come with an airline card could be of great use to some of you.
Related Credit Cards
- AmEx Blue Delta SkyMiles
- AmEx Gold Delta SkyMiles (this post)
- AmEx Gold Delta SkyMiles Business
- AmEx Platinum Delta SkyMiles
- AmEx Platinum Delta SkyMiles Business
- AmEx Delta Reserve
- AmEx Delta Reserve Business
Recommended Downgrade Options
- Click here to check AmEx application status.
- AmEx reconsideration backdoor number: 877-399-3083. The “real” backdoor number of Amex is well protected. Different from Chase, the representatives from this AmEx reconsideration backdoor number only have the right to help you submit requests.