Platinum Delta SkyMiles from American Express Review
2017.7.27 Update: The 70k offer is expired.
- 35k Miles+$100+5k MQM offer: earn 35,000 Miles and 5,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQM) after spending $1000 in first 3 months (Note that MQMs are not the kind of miles to redeem for flights, they are only helpful to get elite status). Earn $100 after using your card to make a Delta purchase in the first 3 months, and if you don’t know what to buy, you can buy some Delta Gift Cards for future Delta flights. The highest public offer is 70k Miles+$100+10k MQM. Because you can only get one sign-up bonus for this card for a lifetime, please wait until the highest sign-up bonus shows up!
- With the Platinum Delta SkyMiles Credit Card, you’ll receive a Companion Certificate each year just for renewing your Card. With this Certificate, you can invite someone special to fly with you on an eligible round-trip domestic flight. If you use it properly, it worths about $500 and it is easy to cover the $195 annual fee.
- We value Delta Miles at 1.2 cents/mile (Airline Miles Value). So the 70k highest sign-up bonus worths about $840! See A Beginner’s Guide to Delta Miles to check for details about Delta Miles.
- Earn 2 miles per $1 spent on Delta purchases; 1 mile per $1 on other purchases.
- First checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Enjoy the right to priority boarding Delta Flight fly.
- 20% savings on in–flight foods and entertainment.
- If in any calendar year Eligible Purchases on the Platinum Delta SkyMiles Credit Card is $25,000 or more, the Basic Card Member will be awarded 10,000 bonus miles and 10,000 MQM; , and if in that same calendar year Eligible Purchases on the Platinum Delta SkyMiles Credit Card is $50,000 or more, the Basic Card Member will be awarded an additional 10,000 bonus miles and 10,000 MQMs.
- With this credit card, you can get access to Amex Offer, which usually offers very good discounts at some stores, such as: spend $15 or more and get $5 back at Walmart; spend $75 or more and get $25 back on Amazon.com.
- No foreign transaction fee.
- Refer a friend: You can earn 5,000 or 10,000 bonus Delta miles for every approved account you refer, up to 55,000 Delta miles per calendar year.
- $195 annual fee, NOT waived for the first year.
DL Companion Certificate Rules
- You can only use the companion certificate on Delta flight only (including Delta connection, Delta shuttles)
- You’ll need to buy your tickets at least 14 days in advance with a minimum 3 night stay
- You must book seats in fare class L, U, or T (discount coach class) only
- You and your companion must fly the exact same itinerary
- Taxes and Fees apply to the companion ticket
- Companion certificates can be transferred，but are not eligible for upgrades
- If you cancel a companion itinerary, you won’t get the certificate back
- You’ll earn miles on the paid ticket, but not the companion ticket
- You must use your Platinum Delta SkyMiles card to pay for the tickets
Recommended Application Time
- You can get the sign-up bonus once in a lifetime, so be sure to apply when the historical highest offer appears.
- AmEx doesn’t care about the number of hard pulls.
- You can try to apply for it when you have a credit history of 6 months.
Only one AmEx credit card can be approved in a day. This rule does not apply to charge cards, you can be approved for one credit card and multiple charge cards in the day.Multiple cards approved in the same day will only have one Hard Pull.
- Only 2 credit cards can be approved within 90 days, but again, this rule does not apply to charge cards.
- You can keep at most 5 AmEx credit cards, not including charge cards.
The best part of this card is the Companion Certificate which often worth more than $500 and you can easily use that to cover the $195 annual fee. The 70k Delta Miles highest sign-up bonus is quite decent, and this card is very worth applying.
Related Credit Cards
- AmEx Gold Delta SkyMiles
- AmEx Gold Delta SkyMiles Business
- AmEx Platinum Delta SkyMiles (this post)
- AmEx Platinum Delta SkyMiles Business
- AmEx Delta Reserve
- AmEx Delta Reserve Business
Recommended Downgrade Options
- You can not downgrade this card to any card with no annual fee, so I suggest you close it when you don’t want to keep it any longer.
- Click here to check AmEx application status.
- AmEx reconsideration backdoor number: 877-399-3083. The “real” backdoor number of Amex is well protected. Different from Chase, the representatives from this AmEx reconsideration backdoor number only have the right to help you submit requests.