American Express Green Card Review
- AmEx Green Card. Note that you have to use the incognito mode or empty the cache in your browser to see the 25k offer. If you can only see the application page without sign-up bonus, please try a few more times. Now the offer differs by location, you may need a VPN to see the big offer, see How to Use VPN to Get Amex Big Offers for details.
- Earn 25,000 Membership Rewards (MR) Points after spending $1000 in first 3 months! This credit card usually doesn’t have a sign-up bonus, and this is the best offer in recent years.
- Membership Rewards (MR) earned by this card, if used to transfer to airline miles, worth about 1.6 cents/point (Bank & Credit Card Points Value). So the 25k highest sign-up bonus worths about $400! For more information about Membership Rewards (MR), see Maximize the Credit Card Points Values (overview) and Review of AmEx Membership Rewards (MR) (very detailed).
- Earn 1 Membership Rewards Points per $1 spending on all purchases.
- With this card, you can get access to Amex Offer, which usually offers very good discounts at some stores, such as: spend $15 or more and get $5 back at Walmart; spend $75 or more and get $25 back on Amazon.com.
- This card is very easy to get approved, because it is a Charge Card, not a Credit Card. Charge card means that you don’t have an option to pay only minimum payment, you have to pay your balance in full on the due dates. Note that Charge Card applications will also result in a Hard Pull, same as Credit Card applications.
- Charge Cards have no pre-set spending limit.
- $95 annual fee, but waived for the first year.
- If you add an Additional Card to your account following your Basic Card application, you will be charged an annual fee of $30 for up to 5 Additional Cards. The annual fee for 6 or more Additional Cards is $30 for each Card. Waived for the first year.
- Foreign Transaction Fee exists, so better not use it outside United States.
The reward rate is not good at all. But its highest sign-up bonus 25k MR points worths $400, so it deserves a consideration for people need a lot of MR points. Considering you can combine Hard Pull when apply for AmEx cards in one day, and charge cards are not restricted by the application interval restriction, so you can apply for this card as you apply for another AmEx credit card. If one day you don’t want to keep this card any more, while still have some remaining MR points, you can apply for AmEx EveryDay (ED) (no annual fee) to keep the MR points and use them in the future.
Recommended Downgrade Option:
- You can not downgrade this card to any card with no annual fee, so I suggest you close it when you don’t want to keep it any longer.
Recommended Application Time:
- You can get the sign-up bonus once in a lifetime, so be sure to apply when the historical highest offer appears.
- AmEx doesn’t care about the number of hard pulls.
- You can try to apply for it when you have a credit history of 6 months.
- Click here to check AmEx application status.
- AmEx reconsideration backdoor number: 877-399-3083. The “real” backdoor number of Amex is well protected. Different from Chase, the representatives from this AmEx reconsideration backdoor number only have the right to help you submit requests.
Historical Offers Chart:
- AmEx Green Card. Note that you have to use the incognito mode or empty the cache in your browser to see the 25k offer, and the application page looks like the picture below. If you can only see the application page without sign-up bonus, please try a few more times. Now the offer differs by location, you may need a VPN to see the big offer, see How to Use VPN to Get Amex Big Offers for details.