Blue Cash Everyday Card from American Express (BCE) Review
2018.5 Update: Today AmEx updated their terms. Previously, you need to redeem reward dollars for statement credits in increments of $25; but now, you can redeem them at any amount that is greater of equal to $25!
- $200 offer: earn $200 after spending $1,000 in first 3 months.
Earn 10% back on purchases at U.S. restaurants within the first 6 months of Card Membership, up to $200.(Expired)
- Earn 3% cash back at US supermarkets; 2% cash back at US gas station and select US department stores; 1% cash back on other purchases.
- Easy to get approved, you can try to apply for this credit card when you only have a credit history for 3 months (make sure you can see your credit report before applying).
- No annual fee.
- With this credit card, you can get access to Amex Offers, which often offers very good discounts at some stores. In the past we have seen offers like: Spend $15 or more and get $5 back at Walmart; Spend $75 or more and get $25 back on Amazon.com.
- Refer a friend: You can earn $50 for every approved account you refer, up to a maximum of 11 approved referrals ($550) per calendar year.
- Only oyur first $6,000 purchases per Annual Reward Year (12 billing periods in a row beginning with the one that includes January 1st) at US supermarkets can earn 3% cash back, after that you can only earn 1%.
- According to the definition by American Express, Target, Walmart, and Costco don’t count as supermarkets, and thus you will only get 1x when shopping there.
- This credit card is on American Express’s Network, not Visa or MasterCard, so some small stores may not accept it.
- The 3%/2% bonus categories are limited within the United States. Well, the Foreign Transaction Fee exists anyway, so better not use it outside the US.
Recommended Application Time
- You can get the sign-up bonus once in a lifetime, so be sure to apply when the historical highest offer appears.
- AmEx doesn’t care about the number of hard pulls.
- You can try to apply for it when you have a credit history of 3 months.
- You must wait at least 90 days between the application for BCE and BCP, otherwise the application will be cancelled.
Only one AmEx credit card can be approved in a day. This rule does not apply to charge cards, you can be approved for one credit card and multiple charge cards in the day.Multiple cards approved in the same day will only have one Hard Pull.
- Only 2 AmEx credit cards can be approved within 90 days, but again, this rule does not apply to charge cards.
- You can keep at most 5 AmEx credit cards, not including charge cards.
Although this credit card has no annual fee, our most recommended grocery credit card is not this card, but should be one of AmEx Blue Cash Preferred (BCP), AmEx EveryDay Preferred (EDP), see Best Rewards Credit Cards For Grocery.
Related Credit Cards
- AmEx EveryDay (ED)
- AmEx EveryDay Preferred (EDP)
- AmEx Blue Cash Everyday (BCE) (this post)
- AmEx Blue Cash Preferred (BCP)
- AmEx Old Blue Cash (OBC)
- Click here to check AmEx application status.
- AmEx reconsideration backdoor number: 877-399-3083. The “real” backdoor number of Amex is well protected. Different from Chase, the representatives from this AmEx reconsideration backdoor number only have the right to help you submit requests.
Historical Offers Chart
Note1: There were $250 + $200 offer in the past. But the $200 part is actually 10% cash back on some category in the first months, and this chart does not include it.
Note2: The $300 offer was actually: For each of the first 6 calendar months, you can earn one $50 statement credit after you spend $500 in that month. It’s really a hustle.