Marriott Bonvoy Business American Express Card (Formerly Starwood Preferred Guest Business Credit Card from American Express) Review
2023.3 Update: The 125k offer is back. Requires $5000 spend within 3 months after account opening. Offer expires at 05/03/2023.
2022.9 Update: The 125k offer is expired. The current offer is only 100k.
2022.7 Update: The new offer is 125k. Offer ends on 8/31. There are also a few improvement on this card:
- Previously you only get Marriott Silver status when you hold this card, and you need to spend $35k to get Gold status; now you get Marriott Gold status as long as you hold this card.
- Receive a 7% discount off standard rates for Marriott hotels. Note that it only applies to standard rate, meaning you won’t get 7% off on company rate or AAA rate or something like that.
- Previously you can earn 4x points are on U.S. restaurants only; now you can earn 4x points on worldwide restaurants.
- 125k offer: earn 125,000 Marriott points after you make $5,000 in purchases within the first 3 months. The recent best offer is 125k + 2x 50k FN.
- Marriott point is now the most flexible points (after the merger with SPG). We estimate that Marriott points are worth about 0.7 cents/point, see below for a brief introduction. So the 125k welcome offer is worth about $875.
- Earn 6x Marriott points for each dollar of eligible purchases at participating SPG and Marriott Rewards hotels; 4x at worldwide restaurants, at U.S. gas stations, on wireless telephone services purchased directly from U.S. service providers and on U.S. purchases for shipping; 2x Marriott points for each dollar on other eligible purchases.
- Receive a Free Night Award that you can redeem for a one-night stay at participating SPG and Marriott Rewards properties with a redemption level at or under 35,000 points (additional mandatory resort fees may apply) every year of Card Membership.
- Earn 15 elite nights each calendar year (elite nights are for status, not free nights). You will only receive Elite Night Credits from ONE Marriott co-branded business credit card. You can get 15-25 more Elite Night Credits if you have a Marriott co-branded personal credit card.
- [New] Receive complimentary Marriott Gold Elite Status. Note that in the new Marriott program, the most important benefits (such as: free breakfast, lounge access, suite upgrade) comes with Marriott Platinum and higher status, therefore the status earned on this card is not quite useful.
- [New] Receive a 7% discount off standard rates for Marriott hotels. Note that it only applies to standard rate, meaning you won’t get 7% off on company rate or AAA rate or something like that.
- With this card, you can get access to Amex Offer, which usually offers very good discounts at some stores, such as: spend $15 or more and get $5 back at Walmart; spend $75 or more and get $25 back on Amazon.com.
- No foreign transaction fee.
- Refer a friend: You can earn 20,000 bonus Marriott points for every approved account you refer, up to 55,000 Marriott points per calendar year.
- $125 annual fee, NOT waived for the first year. ($95 before 2019.03.28)
Introduction to Marriott Points
- Marriott points are the most flexible transferable points (After the merging with SPG, Marriott obtained all its airline partners).
- You can earn Marriott points with Chase Marriott Bonvoy Boundless, Chase Marriott Bonvoy Bold, AmEx Marriott Bonvoy Brilliant, AmEx Marriott Bonvoy Business, and the following cards that do not accept new applications but accept product change: Chase Ritz-Carlton, and AmEx Marriott Bonvoy.
- Marriott points are stored in your Marriott account, not in your credit cards, so you won't lose your points by canceling the credit cards.
- Your Marriott points will expire if you don't earn or spend any Marriott points in 24 months. As long as you earn make a purchase with the corresponding credit cards or stay in a hotel, or you redeem some points during the time frame, the point expiration date will be postponed accordingly.
- Marriott points can be transferred to a lot of airlines miles (you don't have to have a Marriott related credit card to make the transfer), and the ratio is 3:1.25 (i.e. 3:1 transfer rate, plus you get 5k bonus miles for every 60k Marriott points you transfer at a time). The good options are: Alaska Airlines (AS) (Non-alliance), Japan Airlines (JL) (Oneworld), United Airlines (UA) (Star Alliance), American Airlines (AA) (Oneworld), All Nippon Airways (ANA, NH) (Star Alliance), Korean Air (KE) (SkyTeam), etc. If you use Marriott points in this way, the value is about 0.7 cents/point.
- Marriott points can also be redeemed for hotel stays obviously. Here's the redemption chart: Marriott redemption chart. Generally speaking, you can get a better redemption value from lowest categories. If you use Marriott points in this way, the value is about 0.7 cents/point.
- In summary, we estimate that Marriott points are worth about 0.7 cents/point.
Recommended Application Time
- You can only get the welcome bonus once in a lifetime, so be sure to apply when the historical highest offer appears.
- Welcome offer not available to applicants who:
- have or have had: the Old Chase Marriott Business or Old Chase Marriott Business $45 annual fee version in the last 30 days,
- have acquired: Chase Marriott Bonvoy Bold, Chase Marriott Bonvoy Boundless, or Chase Marriott Bonvoy Bountiful in the last 90 days,
- or received a new Card Member bonus offer on: Chase Marriott Bonvoy Bold, Chase Marriott Bonvoy Boundless, or Chase Marriott Bonvoy Bountiful in the last 24 months.
- AmEx doesn’t typically care about the number of hard pulls.
- You can try to apply for it when you have a credit history of 6 months.
- Only one AmEx credit card can be approved per day. This rule does not apply to charge cards, you can be approved for one credit card and multiple charge cards in the day. Multiple cards approved in the same day will only have one Hard Pull.
- Only 2 AmEx credit cards can be approved within 90 days, but again, this rule does not apply to charge cards.
- You can keep at most 5 AmEx credit cards, not including charge cards.
This card is really similar to the personal AmEx Marriott Bonvoy. What’s special about this card is, starting from 2020, Marriott allows you to stack the elite nights earned from personal and business Marriott co-branded cards. That’s 25+15=40 elite nights in total. Note that you can only earn up to 25 elite nights if you only have personal co-branded cards and it must be Marriott Brilliant card. Other personal card gives you at most 15 nights, no matter how many of them you have. Nowadays this card is the only Marriott business co-branded card that accepts new applications. Therefore, you pay the $125 annual fee and what you get is a free night certificate up to 35k plus 15 elite nights, and it’s suitable for someone who wants to earn Marriott elite status.
Related Credit Cards
- Chase Marriott Bonvoy Bold
- Chase Marriott Bonvoy Boundless
- Chase Marriott Bonvoy Bountiful
- Chase Ritz-Carlton
- AmEx Marriott Bonvoy
- AmEx Marriott Bonvoy Business (this post)
- AmEx Marriott Bonvoy Bevy
- AmEx Marriott Bonvoy Brilliant
|Chase Marriott Bonvoy Bold||Chase Marriott Bonvoy Boundless||Chase Marriott Bonvoy Bountiful||Chase Ritz-Carlton||AmEx Marriott Bonvoy||AmEx Marriott Bonvoy Business||AmEx Marriott Bonvoy Bevy||AmEx Marriott Bonvoy Brilliant|
|Various Credit||none||none||none||$300 airline incidental credit||none||none||none||$25*12 dining credit|
|Free Night||none||up to 35k||none||up to 85k||up to 35k||up to 35k||none||up to 85k|
|Elite Nights||15N||15N||15N||15N||15N||15N (extra)||15N||25N|
|Sign-up Bonus||60k||100k||125k||Can't apply directly||Can't apply directly||100k||125k||150k|
Recommended Downgrade Options
- You can not downgrade this card to any card with no annual fee, so I suggest you close it when you don』t want to keep it any longer.
- Click here to check AmEx application status.
- AmEx reconsideration backdoor number: 877-399-3083. The 「real」 backdoor number of Amex is well protected. Different from Chase, the representatives from this AmEx reconsideration backdoor number only have the right to help you submit requests.
Historical Offers Chart
- AmEx Marriott Bonvoy Business (If you can’t open it, try incognito mode)