Hilton HHonors Card from American Express Review
2017.8 Update: There is a new promotional offer available where Amex Hilton cardholders can add an authorized user (AU) and earn 5,000 Honor Points after spending $500 on up to 4 AUs, for a total of up to 20,000 MR. Try to login here to see if your no-annual fee Hilton card is eligible for this promotion! Note that you do not have to provide a SSN to signup for AU cards, though Amex will require that you submit a SSN within approximately two months or they will close the AU account.
H/T: u/android0017 @ r/churning
- 75k Offer: earn 75,000 HHonors Points after spending $1000 in first 3 months. The highest sign-up bonus is 80k. Because you can only get one sign-up bonus for this card for a lifetime, please wait until the highest sign-up bonus shows up!
- We value Hilton HHonors Point at 0.5 cents/point (Hotel Points Value), click here to see how many points are required for a free night. So the highest sign-up bonus 80k is worth about $400.
- Earn 7 Hilton HHonors points per $1 spent on hotel stays within Hilton Portfolio; 5 points on US restaurants, US supermarkets, and US gas stations; 3 points on other purchases.
- Complimentary HHonors Silver status for the cardholder. Upgrade to HHonors Gold status when you make $20,000 or more in purchases each calendar year.
- No annual fee! This is quite rare in hotel credit cards.
- With this credit card, you can get access to Amex Offers, which often offers very good discounts at some stores. In the past we have seen offers like: Spend $15 or more and get $5 back at Walmart; Spend $75 or more and get $25 back on Amazon.com.
- After you keep this no fee version AmEx Hilton credit card for 12 months, you can upgrade it to the Surpass version, without a Hard Pull, and receive a bonus 50k/100k points. Here is the link to upgrade, it’s better to input your credit card number rather than log in, because you may not see the upgrade offer via login.
- Refer a friend: You can earn 10,000 bonus Hilton points for every approved account you refer, up to 80,000 Hilton Points per calendar year.
- Foreign Transaction Fee.
- Note that AmEx has a policy: If you currently or have previously held a specific AmEx credit card, you will not be eligible for the welcome bonus offer. So if you want to squeeze the highest rewards from credit cards, you should apply for the Surpass version first, and then take the upgrade offer, and then possibly go on upgrading/downgrading.
There are 4 Hilton credit cards, you should probably get all of them if you are interested in getting lots of Hilton HHonors points. You could keep AmEx Hilton and Citi Hilton anyway since they both have no annual fee, but AmEx Hilton Surpass and Citi Hilton Reserve are more suitable for those who often stay in Hilton.
Related Credit Cards:
Recommended Application Time:
- You can get the sign-up bonus once per lifetime, so be sure to apply when the historically highest offer appears.
- AmEx doesn’t tend to care about the number of hard pulls.
- You should try to apply for it once you have a credit history of 6 months.
- Only one AmEx credit card can be approved per day. This rule does not apply to charge cards, you can be approved for one credit card and multiple charge cards in the day. Multiple cards approved on the same day will only have one Hard Pull.
- Only 2 credit cards can be approved within 90 days, but again, this rule does not apply to charge cards.
- You can keep at most 5 AmEx credit cards, not including charge cards.
- Click here to check AmEx application status.
- AmEx reconsideration backdoor number: 877-399-3083. The “real” backdoor number of Amex is well protected. Different from Chase, the representatives from this AmEx reconsideration backdoor number only have the right to help you submit requests.