The Hilton Honors American Express Card Review
2018.6 Update: 75k offer is expired. Now the highest offer is 65k.
2018.5 Update: 75k bonus points offer has returned. You need to spend $1000 within 3 months from account opening. Offer ends 06/27. You can easily see 75k+$50 offer via dummy booking.
- 65k Offer: earn 65,000 Honors Points after spending $1000 in first 3 months. The highest sign-up bonus is 75k+$50. Because you can only get one sign-up bonus for this card for a lifetime, please wait until the highest sign-up bonus shows up!
- We value Hilton Honors Point at 0.5 cents/point (Hotel Points Value), click here to see how many points are required for a free night. So the highest sign-up bonus 75k+$50 is worth about $425.
- Earn 7 Hilton Honors points per $1 spent on hotel stays within Hilton Portfolio; 5 points on US restaurants, US supermarkets, and US gas stations; 3 points on other purchases.
- Complimentary Hilton Silver status for the cardholder. Upgrade to Hilton Gold status when you make $20,000 or more in purchases each calendar year.
- No annual fee! This is quite rare in hotel credit cards.
- With this credit card, you can get access to Amex Offers, which often offers very good discounts at some stores. In the past we have seen offers like: Spend $15 or more and get $5 back at Walmart; Spend $75 or more and get $25 back on Amazon.com.
- Refer a friend: You can earn 10,000 bonus Hilton points for every approved account you refer, up to 80,000 Hilton Points per calendar year.
- No foreign transaction fee.
- The 5x bonus categories are limited within the United States.
Recommended Application Time
- Note that AmEx has a policy: If you currently or have previously held a specific AmEx credit card, you will not be eligible for the welcome bonus offer. So if you want to squeeze the highest rewards from credit cards, you should apply for the sign-up bonus first, and then take the upgrade offer, and then possibly go on upgrading/downgrading.
- You can get the sign-up bonus once per lifetime, so be sure to apply when the historically highest offer appears.
- AmEx doesn’t tend to care about the number of hard pulls.
- You should try to apply for it once you have a credit history of 6 months.
- Only one AmEx credit card can be approved per day. This rule does not apply to charge cards, you can be approved for one credit card and multiple charge cards in the day. Multiple cards approved on the same day will only have one Hard Pull.
- Only 2 AmEx credit cards can be approved within 90 days, but again, this rule does not apply to charge cards.
- You can keep at most 5 AmEx credit cards, not including charge cards.
The sign-up bonus is decent, so it’s worth applying. Because it has no annual fee, it is a good downgrading option, and there’s no harm to keep for long time.
Related Credit Cards
- Click here to check AmEx application status.
- AmEx reconsideration backdoor number: 877-399-3083. The “real” backdoor number of Amex is well protected. Different from Chase, the representatives from this AmEx reconsideration backdoor number only have the right to help you submit requests.