The Hilton Honors American Express Card Review
2018.1.19 Update: The 75k links are all dead. The current offer is only 65k.
2018.1.18 Update: There’s no Foreign Transaction Fee (FTF) any longer!
- 65k Offer: earn 65,000 Honors Points after spending $1000 in first 3 months. The highest sign-up bonus is 80k. Because you can only get one sign-up bonus for this card for a lifetime, please wait until the highest sign-up bonus shows up!
- We value Hilton Honors Point at 0.5 cents/point (Hotel Points Value), click here to see how many points are required for a free night. So the highest sign-up bonus 80k is worth about $400.
- Earn 7 Hilton Honors points per $1 spent on hotel stays within Hilton Portfolio; 5 points on US restaurants, US supermarkets, and US gas stations; 3 points on other purchases.
- Complimentary Hilton Silver status for the cardholder. Upgrade to Hilton Gold status when you make $20,000 or more in purchases each calendar year.
- No annual fee! This is quite rare in hotel credit cards.
- With this credit card, you can get access to Amex Offers, which often offers very good discounts at some stores. In the past we have seen offers like: Spend $15 or more and get $5 back at Walmart; Spend $75 or more and get $25 back on Amazon.com.
- After you keep this no fee version AmEx Hilton credit card for 12 months, you can upgrade it to the Surpass version, without a Hard Pull, and receive a bonus 50k/100k points. Here is the link to upgrade, it’s better to input your credit card number rather than log in, because you may not see the upgrade offer via login.
- Refer a friend: You can earn 10,000 bonus Hilton points for every approved account you refer, up to 80,000 Hilton Points per calendar year.
- No foreign transaction fee.
- The 5x bonus categories are limited within the United States.
Recommended Application Time
- Note that AmEx has a policy: If you currently or have previously held a specific AmEx credit card, you will not be eligible for the welcome bonus offer. So if you want to squeeze the highest rewards from credit cards, you should apply for the sign-up bonus first, and then take the upgrade offer, and then possibly go on upgrading/downgrading.
- You can get the sign-up bonus once per lifetime, so be sure to apply when the historically highest offer appears.
- AmEx doesn’t tend to care about the number of hard pulls.
- You should try to apply for it once you have a credit history of 6 months.
- Only one AmEx credit card can be approved per day. This rule does not apply to charge cards, you can be approved for one credit card and multiple charge cards in the day. Multiple cards approved on the same day will only have one Hard Pull.
- Only 2 AmEx credit cards can be approved within 90 days, but again, this rule does not apply to charge cards.
- You can keep at most 5 AmEx credit cards, not including charge cards.
The sign-up bonus is decent, so it’s worth applying. After getting all the sign-up bonuses, you may also upgrade/downgrade to get the 50k/100k upgrading bonus.
Related Credit Cards
- Click here to check AmEx application status.
- AmEx reconsideration backdoor number: 877-399-3083. The “real” backdoor number of Amex is well protected. Different from Chase, the representatives from this AmEx reconsideration backdoor number only have the right to help you submit requests.