Citi Regular Checking (Formerly Citi Basic Banking Package) Review
2024.1 Update: This bank account recently changed its name, and now offers a $300 bonus which is super easy to get.
- $300 sign-up bonus! Please read below for the requirement to get this bonus. Offer ends on: 2024.07.08.
- There is a monthly maintenance fee of $15. Please read below for how to avoid the monthly fee.
- No early termination fee. You can close your account at any time, but we recommend you to convert your account to the Citi Basic Banking package to avoid high monthly balance requirement.
- This bonus is only available for new clients. Those who currently have a Citi checking or savings account, or have closed an account within 365 days are not eligible for this offer. Those with a Citi credit card are not exempt from this offer.
- Deposit at least two “Enhanced Direct Deposits (EDD)” directly into your new checking account within 90 calendar days from account opening. Your total combined Enhanced Direct Deposit must equal $1,500 or more. I’ll explain what is “EDD” in the next chapter. It is very easy to satisfy the requirement.
What is Enhanced Direct Deposits (EDD)?
Enhanced Direct Deposits (EDD) is a word created by Citi, and it is different from Direct Deposit (DD). The official definition is:
An EDD is an electronic deposit through the Automated Clearing House (“ACH”) Network of payroll, pension, social security, government benefits and other payments to your checking or savings account. An Enhanced Direct Deposit also includes all deposits via Zelle® and other P2P payments when made via ACH using providers such as Venmo or PayPal. Teller deposits, cash deposits, check deposits, wire transfers, transfers between Citibank accounts, ATM transfers and deposits, mobile check deposits, and P2P payments using a debit card do not qualify as an Enhanced Direct Deposit.
So, the following methods all count towards EDD: Zelle, Venmo, PayPal, and regular ACH transfers. Therefore it is very easy to satisfy the requirement.
How to Avoid the Monthly Fee (Meet Any One of the Requirements Below)
- At least $250 Enhanced Direct Deposit (EDD) each month.
Different Citi Checking Accounts
Here is a comparison and contrast on the official website.
The welcome offer is super easy to get, so it is worth opening. This account is also a basic Citi checking account which can be a good downgrade option.